Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setup internet connection
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setup internet connection Post 7425 by loadc on Wednesday 26th of September 2001 09:55:12 AM
Old 09-26-2001
and more than that...

Here we go:

You got lots on your hands for what your experience level appears to be. If you have a static ip, and you want to assign it, my first advice is "man ifconfig", that will get you started. Mostly this is going to look like, "ifconfig le0 -netmask put.your.netmask.here ip.address.goes.here". Now you have your ip set, but you've got nowhere to go, U-Neda-Route...
This is usually, and you NEED to know what your default gateway/router is here, "route add default ip.of.router.here". This can be automatically set in the /etc/defaultrouter file in Solaris, at least it used to be, just put the ip in there.
A quick "netstat -nr" should tell you what your routes are and from which interfaces and such. Take a look.
Now, you are needing even more, you must "resolv" your problems further. So, I'd look at /etc/resolv.conf, then I'd add in my lines:
domain searchdomain.com
nameserver ip.name.server.here
nameserver ip2.name.server.here

Now, you have resolv, but do you know to look at it? NO!! You must go too find out where you can look at reolver versus local resolution. This is in nsswitch.conf, and here you must consult the man page, but mostly it will ask you in what order you want to look at things for resolving. When it comes to hostname, you want ot look at files, then network, then whatever else you may run.
I think the ifconfig will be permanent, but just to be safe, read the man page, they are sometimes cryptic, but a MUST for anyone who wants to know what they are doing.

You must also have an editor you are comfortable with for this, if this tells you about me, I like any old vi....

As a matter of fact, read the man page for each command mentioned above, they will all help immmensely, and you may come across some info you've been looking for....

Later,

loadc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setup X connection

I am running on a linux in my company's main site. Sometimes I need to access to a server in another site and run some x-applications. I tried to SSH to that server, but had difficulty setting up the correct DISPLAY variable. I used "who" to list the users and got something like:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjohn
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Internet setup on solaris10

Hi all, Can anyone please tell me how to setup internet on solaris10, b72? I own an airtel broadband, with a beetel 220BXI modem. I am new to solaris so was wondering as to how it can be done? Thanks (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
23 Replies

3. Solaris

internet setup for solaris on x86 platform

Hi all, i have configured my solaris 5 .10 for internet connection by editing the files /etc/hosts/,/etc/resolve.config,/etc/defalutrouter and nsswitchconfig . during installation i was not requested for ip adddress even i plugged network cable. am i need to install any network card... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Problems with Internet setup

Hi, I am using VMWARE and when I have the network connection set to NAT and the VM set to DHCP I get internet connection. But when I set the connection to BRIDGED and assign a static IP address I loose internet connection. I have used netconfig to manually assign the IP Address, GATEWAY, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Internet connection

I got solaris 10 works, but I cannot set up my internet connection. When I ping a website and i open the web browser, it doesn't work. When the installation asked 'Am I in a network?' i answerd 'no'. I think this is my minstake. How can i get Internet, now? I have a ADSL modem (not router).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
5 Replies

6. AIX

SSH Connection setup

Hi there, I would like to setup an ssh connection between the aix and the mainframes server. I would like to setup a script such that it wont ask the password every time when i try to connect the mainframes server from my unix box. If you guys provide the sample script that would really... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: overnight
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 internet connection setup

I have a solaris 10 on my laptop. I want to let my internet work. Command: ifconfig -a Return: lo: ... e1000g0: ... I dont know what else to setup so when I open firefox, I have access to internet. Can anyone show me how to do the setting? Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbahaha
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Internet setup on Solaris 10

Hi all, I have setup Solaris 10 OS on my home Sparc (Blade 1500) box. I also setup CDE (Common Desktop Environment). The box has Network card with 6 connections available for Internet, So I hooked up a hard-wired link from my router to the first slot. The light is green on both ends. Now, how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve701
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

What is command to setup sofware in redhat over internet

Hi all, I setup redhat in VMware and I connected to internet, so I want setup sofware for redhat over internet what is command I used ? Are you understand my question, my ability of english is not good, such as I want setup dhcp packet I must used a command ? (yum... or...apt-get...or rpm... ?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilinux9
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setup sftp connection

To set up a sftp connection between Server A, Server B and a website.com A batch script will start from Server A and Server B and Connect to the Website server How to setup sftp connection between server's. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
1 Replies
resolv.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						    resolv.conf(5)

Name
       resolv.conf - resolver configuration file

Description
       The  resolver  configuration  file, contains information that the resolver routines read the first time they are invoked by a process.  The
       resolver file contains ASCII text and lists the name-value pairs that provide various types of resolver information.

The file is required if your system is running BIND.  This file must contain the BIND domain name for the local area network.  If your sys-
       tem is a BIND client, this file must also contain nameserver entries.

There are two entry formats for the file:

domain binddomain
	      This  line  specifies  the  default  domain to append to local host names.  If no domain entries are present, the domain returned by
	      after the first dot (.) is used.	If the host name does not contain a domain, the root domain is assumed.

nameserver address
	      In this entry, the address is the IP address, in dot notation, of the BIND server that should be queried to resolve  host  name  and
	      address  information.   You should have at least one name server listed.	Two or more name servers reduces the possibility of inter-
	      rupted BIND service in the event that one of the servers is down.  You can list up to (10) name servers.	If more than one server is
	      listed,  the resolver library queries you to try them in the order listed.  If no name server entries are present, the default is to
	      use the name server on the local machine.

The algorithm used is to try a name server, and, if the query times out, to try the next, until out of name servers or the query	is
	      resolved.   The  last step is to repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries has been made or the query has
	      been resolved.

The name value pair must appear on a single line, and the keyword or must start each line.

Examples
       The following is an example of a file:
       ;
       ; Data file for a client
       ;
       domain	      cities.us
       nameserver     128.11.22.33
       Lines beginning with a semicolon (;) are comment lines.

Files
See Also
       gethostname(2), resolver(3), named(8)
       Guide to the BIND Service

resolv.conf(5)