Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK Syntax errors :/
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Syntax errors :/ Post 74237 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 8th of June 2005 01:45:04 PM
Old 06-08-2005
works just fine on Solaris 8
Make sure you have no hidden control characters anywhere in the file - in particular the first line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk errors

Hello, Can you please let me know how to find all lines that don't begin with pattern1, pattern2, pattern3 and pattern4? Here is my awk script that gives an error. awk 'BEGIN { NAME="$FILE" GSNO=0 } /^ISA/ { FIRST=$0; LAST="IEA*1*" +... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy5
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl version for syntax errors

All, Does it matter what perl verios your running when you get syntax errors? on version 5.6.1 the code works fine, but on 5.8.0 the code gets errors? #!/usr/bin/perl #use strict; #use warnings; my $mess = 'messages'; my $mess1 = 'messages.1'; my $mess2 = 'messages.2'; my... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Syntax Errors

Hi, I am a newbie to PERL and working on a script. When running it I get a lot of compilation errors. The actual command in the program (which is within a case structure) is given below # This gives the actual count of inquires from a log file (It works fine when I type this on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurani
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I dont really think that the math header has syntax errors

Hi, Mini:Evaluator develop$ make bison -d grammar.y grammar.y: conflicts: 24 shift/reduce flex rules.l cc -0 -o Evaluator grammar.tab.c lex.yy.c -ly -ll -lm In file included from grammar.y:3: /usr/include/architecture/i386/math.h:310: error: syntax error before numeric constant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tcerka
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

line count with if /else - syntax errors

this is the script: ps -ef|grep "x_jobstat 10 v001" > jobstatv001.txt ps -ef |grep "x_jobserver 10 v001" >> jobstatv001.txt #Sample text - each line preceded by 4 spaces # root 133064 102986 0 08:49:28 pts/6 0:00 grep x_jobstat 10 v001 # root 137550 1 0 Nov 08 - 0:28... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalkner
6 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Seek help on shell script syntax errors

I want to delete archivelog files that has been archived and applied from primary database to standby database. This piece of script is working in Linux server. However, I copy it to Unix server with tiny modification. It won't work and generate the error message. I have checked code carefullt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
8 Replies

7. Programming

Errors in Perl when using awk command

Hi Guys, Hope everyone is fine :) I have this code below: #!/usr/bin/perl $num_of_files=`ls | grep -v remover | wc -l`; $remover=`ls -lrt | grep -v total | grep -v remover | head -1 | awk '{print $8}' | rm \`xargs\``; if ($num_of_files>3) { system ($remover); } When I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Linux bash (GNU) to Solaris script syntax errors

Original script written on CentOS 6.3 with GNU bash 4.1.2 Destination system is Solaris 9 with GNU bash 2.05 (not changeable by me) I have a script written on the linux side but now we need to provide a version to another site that "doesn't like linux". I've been going through changing the ] or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
13 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with shell scrip syntax errors

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This script will analyse the channels.txt e registrations.txt and it will allow to mage the channels and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demas
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding latest file in dir but getting syntax errors

I believe there are couple of syntax issues in my script, couldn't find them :( can someone help me with fixing it to make it work. cd /abcde/ #get the latest filename excluding subdirs filename=`ls -ltr | grep ^- | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}'` #get system date and file timestamp and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfhpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
The col utility filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so that the output is in the correct order with only forward and half for- ward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the fol- lowing line. -h Don't output multiple spaces instead of tabs (default). -l num Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. The control sequences for carriage motion that col understands and their decimal values are listed in the following table: ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7) ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8) ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9) backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. The col utility keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. SEE ALSO
expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 29, 1993 BSD