Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: daemon scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting daemon scripts Post 73212 by dharmesht on Sunday 29th of May 2005 10:20:43 PM
Old 05-29-2005
daemon

Hi ,
By making a script a daemon ,if u mean that u want to run it as a backgroung process the u can run it as :

scriptname &

and if u want the script should run even after the unix session has been logged off then u can use it like :

nohup scriptname &

I hope this makes it clear , if any other way is possible please someone post a reply to this.

cheers !!!

dharmesh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Daemon, scripts and processes

Hi, I am new to the world of Unix, I need some help in doing a small project at work. Can anyone point out any good references for the below functions? Objective --------- To write a daemon that will run in the central server to 1) access our process(I will find this out), log down... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seongyin
1 Replies

2. Programming

Daemon

i want to write a daemon service which listens the 8080 port and write down all the details in one file. How can i do this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh123
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profile scripts versus rc scripts....

what is the difference between login and profile scripts versus the rc scripts? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookie22
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Script using rsh and scripts within scripts

Hi, I've written a script that runs on a Database server. It has to shutdown the Application server, do an Oracle Dump and then restart the Application server. Its been a long time since I wrote any shells scripts. Can you tell me if the scripts that I execute within my script will be executed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brockwile1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling scripts from with scripts

Hi all, I'm wondering if you could give me some advice. I am new to scripting and am getting rather frustrated that i can get my script to call another script if certain criteria is met, via command line, but I cannot get the same script to work thru the cron jobs. My first script monitors... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: echoes
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple scripts from another scripts

Dear all, I am working on script which call other shell scripts in a loop but problem is from second script am not able to come out. Here is the snippet:- #!/bin/bash HSFILE=/root/Test/Components.txt LOGFile=/opt/domain/AdminDomain/application/logs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies
timedsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     timedsetup(8)

NAME
timedsetup - Performs initial setup of the time server daemon (timed). SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/timedsetup DESCRIPTION
The timedsetup command is an interactive script that can be used to perform initial time service configuration for your system. By default, timed does not start at boot time. The timedsetup script asks if you want the timed daemon to be started at boot time, and prompts you for any options to pass to the timed daemon whenever it is invoked. The script then starts the timed daemon. For more information on the timed options, see the timed(8) reference page. Note The timed daemon is provided for compatibility. Tru64 UNIX also provides support for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) through the xntpd daemon. Compaq recommends you use NTP for time synchronization. If your system is configured to run NTP, the timedsetup command passes the -E and -M options to the timed daemon by default. If you plan to run both the timed daemon and NTP, you should configure NTP first. RESTRICTIONS
In configurations with two or more hosts each connected to the same two or more subnetworks, only one of the host can run the timed with the -M option. FILES
Specifies the command pathname The timed startup and shutdown script Specifies timed parameters pertinent to a specific system SEE ALSO
Commands: timed(8), xntpd(8) timedsetup(8)