Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what to chmod to write in a directory? Post 72945 by bhargav on Wednesday 25th of May 2005 11:15:56 PM
Old 05-26-2005
try

chmod 777 Docs

That will work only if you are the owner of Docs directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message; chmod: WARNING: can't change home ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncarmstrong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod erased a directory(?)

I was attempting to change permissions on a directory, used a 'chmod -rwrwrw DirectoryName' command, and hit enter. Now, that directory shows that it's empty! How could this be? Any Ideas? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmooBG
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write logs to a specified Directory??

I have the following script which writes the output of the scirpt in a log file in the same directory from which the script is run. I need the scipt to write the logs daily to a differnt directory with the date appended to the log on a daily basis. The script is as follows... .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nirmal84
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a directory location

Hi, Just want to be sure that if I write a directory like: /documents/script.pl is the same as to write: /documents//script.pl Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fadista
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to chmod a file/directory

This is Solaris 10, by the way. I am aware of ACLs or something like that in Solaris 10 where you can change who can access directories and such that goes beyond the standard permisisons (chmod and rwxrwxrwx). Although I thought when these were being used, the permissions listing would show a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Possible to show in which directory a user can write?

Hi Gurus, is there a possibility to show where a user can write to? i want to see all directories where a user has permissions to write to. Kind Regards FranzB (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
0 Replies

7. Programming

chmod:No such file or directory

sprintf(fname, "core.%d", pid); (void) unlink(fname); if (ttrace(TT_PROC_CORE, pid, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0) { perror("TT_PROC_CORE pass"); Fail(); } if (chmod(fname, 0) != 0) { perror("chmod"); Fail(); } Hi, If i execute above code,everytime am getting below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

chmod only immediate directory?

I am having trouble figuring out how to do a "chmod o-w" for all files under a certain directory, while excluding directories under that certain directory. I can do chmod -R o-w /thisdirectory but that changes permissions of all directories under the directory as well as files. I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding a directory with chown, chmod

does anyone know how to exclude a directory with chown or chmod? im trying to do something like this chown $username:$username $directory/* chown $username:$username $directory/.* chown $username:$username $directory and find $directory/* -type f -exec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
1 Replies
syscallbyproc.d(1m)						   USER COMMANDS					       syscallbyproc.d(1m)

NAME
syscallbyproc.d - syscalls by process name. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
syscallbyproc.d DESCRIPTION
syscallbyproc.d is a DTrace OneLiner to a report of the number of system calls made by process name. This is useful to identify which process is causing the most system calls. Docs/oneliners.txt and Docs/Examples/oneliners_examples.txt in the DTraceToolkit contain this as a oneliner that can be cut-n-paste to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
This samples until Ctrl-C is hit. # syscallbyproc.d FIELDS
first field This is the process name. There may be several PIDs that have the same process name, for example with numerous instances of "bash". The value reported will be the sum of them all. second field This is the count, the number of system calls made. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
syscallbyproc.d will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
procsystime(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 May 15, 2005 syscallbyproc.d(1m)