Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what is means by tar xvr -
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is means by tar xvr - Post 7292 by E-Quality on Monday 24th of September 2001 12:14:46 PM
Old 09-24-2001
what is means by tar xvr -

In the tar statement

cat abc | tar xvr -

what is the real meaning for x v and f ?

thx in adv.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What does ##* means

Hi In one of the thread I have found echo ${SHELL##*/} Can any of u pls let me know, what is the interpretation for ##* over here? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

$$ means?

hey, what's $$varname in a script? I used to see $varname only. search on google didn't help. thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patiobarbecue
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you tell me what this means?

Can you please tell me what this means? use grep to find from the file myfile.txt all lines containing the sequence tt but not more 2 ts? I have no idea. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushhour
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what does $#,$* means

:) Hi, In some script i got these regular expression like , n=$# and for i in $* can anybody let me know, what does it means (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deb.simply
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What means %U

I can not find out what the %U means in the following command: ooffice -calc %U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

!! what is this means

I have a script like select * from table !! what those exclamation marks mean (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does . means?

Hi, I have seen in some ksh script, that we are executing shell scripts inside other shell script as . variable.sh What is . here? Their is space between . and variabloe. And why we are not executing it like ./variable.sh? I know that . signifies current directory , but what its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
tar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    tar(4)

NAME
tar - format of tar tape archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure produced by (see tar(1)) is as follows (the array size defined by the constants is shown on the right): All characters are represented in ASCII. There is no padding used in the header block; all fields are contiguous. The fields magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated character strings. The fields name, linkname, and prefix are null-terminated char- acter strings except when all characters in the array contain non-null characters, including the last character. The version field is two bytes containing the characters (zero-zero). The typeflag contains a single character. All other fields are leading-zero-filled octal numbers in ASCII. Each numeric field is terminated by one or more space or null characters. The name and the prefix fields produce the pathname of the file. The hierarchical relationship of the file is retained by specifying the pathname as a path prefix, with a slash character and filename as the suffix. If the prefix contains non-null characters, prefix, a slash character, and name are concatenated without modification or addition of new characters to produce a new pathname. In this manner, path- names of at most 256 characters can be supported. If a pathname does not fit in the space provided, the format-creating utility notifies the user of the error, and no attempt is made to store any part of the file, header, or data on the medium. SEE ALSO
tar(1) STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tar(4)