Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting running 2 shell jobs while waitting for result Post 72632 by eyalush on Monday 23rd of May 2005 07:21:59 AM
Old 05-23-2005
Error running 2 shell jobs while waitting for result

Hi,

i'm trying to run from 3rd party program that runs RShell and waits for the job to be finished with a result / return code.

the problem is that my shell job is starting another shell job,
and when the secound job is starting, the first is finished and it returns to the program the first result ( it doesn't wait for the sec shell job ).

Is there a solution for this problem?

thanks
Eyal Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running cron jobs

Hi, I'm new to cron and I would like to know if this cron entry looks right. Every monday to friday, at 9:15 AM execute the script called done_att.sh Every monday to friday, at 3:15 PM execute the script called start_att.sh 15 09 * * /u54/jobs/done_att.sh 45 15 * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ted
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running cron jobs

I would like to add a job using cron. I have following questions - cron jobs are launched using what login-id e.g. is the script launced using my login-id - In which directory would the cron jobs be launched ? - where do the environment variables required in the script being lauched come... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tell which cron jobs are still running?

I have some cron jobs that are taking a might long time. That is because they are screen scrapers and I inserted an extra long pause (10 minutes between screens) to be extra polite and minimize network traffic. I was going to have them run once a day but now I'm thinking once a week. How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Seriously, cron jobs not running.

Before I get a million and one suggestions on all the things that could be wrong with my scripts - let me assure everyone that this is not the issue. i have a RH EL ES4 server that stopped running all cron jobs except hourly, daily, weekly. This has affected all users including root. No... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bill_k_Lopez
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

cron jobs running, but not...

I have a cron job set up to run a script on my Leopard Server every night. The job is set up as root, and when I run the script manually, it runs fine. The problem is that it is not doing anything when it runs at night. In the cron log, it says it ran, but did not output the results to the file it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodomino6
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at jobs not running

im doing at now <return> touch ~/Desktop/file.txt <ctrl d> and file is never created though it says job 7 at Wed Mar 17 15:15:55 2010 why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running jobs in parallel

I need to process 50 sqlplus scripts which are listed in a text file. I need to develop a shell script that'll read this file and run these sqlplus scripts. At any point of time, the number of sqlplus scripts running shouldn't exceed 6. If any of the sqlplus scripts completes successfully then... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctex
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jobs running in a server

Hi, I need to know the jobs running in a server for all users in linux, crontab -l gives for particular user, how ever I need for all users. I have sudo user access. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Psg amount of running jobs?

Hey, I have to run a lot of jobs (300) and would like to start at one time only 20 jobs and then after thos jobs are finished the next 20. But how to "ask" for whether the jobs are finished? actually, my starting scripts looks like that: for i in jal_* do cd ./$i/ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run multiple jobs and it's dependent jobs

I have multiple jobs and each job dependent on other job. Each Job generates a log and If job completed successfully log file end's with JOB ENDED SUCCESSFULLY message and if it failed then it will end with JOB ENDED with FAILURE. I need an help how to start. Attaching the JOB dependency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshkumarkal
3 Replies
starting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       starting(7)

NAME
starting - event signalling that a job is starting SYNOPSIS
starting JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The starting event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when a new instance of a job begins starting. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue starting. This allows jobs to effectively insert themselves as dependencies of other jobs. The event is typically combined with the stopped(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the starting event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run before another task or service is started might use: start on starting postgresql SEE ALSO
started(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 starting(7)