Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris tftp configuring on Solaris 5.7 Post 72196 by reborg on Thursday 19th of May 2005 03:34:46 PM
Old 05-19-2005
If enabled tftp in both /etc/inetd and /etc/services
and a directory /tftpboot exists (or you create it) you can enable tftp
by sending a HUP to inetd.

In solaris 8 or later the simplest way is "pkill -HUP inetd" otherwise kill -HUP <pid of inetd>

EDIT: If you are enabling tftp for the porpose of jumpstart, this will be done automatically by the add_install_client script the first time it is run.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring networking interfaces on Solaris 10

Hi, I am trying to configure an ip address, netmask, and default gateway on my solaris machine. For example, in Linux I would do the following command: #ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask 255.0.0.0 #add route or route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx In Solaris 10, I believe the commands are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: annointed3
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Configuring TP Ethernet in SPARCstation 5 Solaris 8

Hey. i have been trying to configure the on board Ethernet in My Sparcstation 5, i have spent a lot of time on the ifconfig man pages. but it could really be nice with some pro. help. i don't think the interface is running . i don't know what name the interface have, le0 eth0 et0, it just says no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Configuring TP Ethernet SS5 Solaris 8

Hey. how do i configure the Lance Ethernet in my SS5 i must use DHCP to get Internet access. i have tried sys-unconfig and ifconfig le0 plumb and dhcp. but no cigar. how do i configure ? i have had some problems with the /etc/hosts dir. it says it dosent exist and when i try to create it it says... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on configuring LDAP server on solaris

HI All I need help to understand how the ldap works in Solaris 9 & Solaris 10. Kindly provide me some helpful commands related to LDAP Regards Jagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganblore
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuring samba in solaris x-86

I just wanted to know if I can configure samba on solaris 10 x-86. I was just wondering if the samba is in-built software gets shipped with Operating System CD. I have searched a lot on many sites and forums but still not getting any way to make it. It would be really appreciable if some can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Configuring Ubuntu 9.04 as a TFTP Server

Configuring Ubuntu 9.04 as a TFTP Server Im trying to configure my Ubuntu desktop as a tftp server. I found the following instructions on how to do this. Most of the instructions I understand however Im not sure about step 2. The instructions are below: In step 2 do I create a txt file in vi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Configuring SMTP on Solaris to use Specific IP

Hi, I have a Solaris server, This server has 4 ethernet ports, I need the SMTP service out a Specific IP of these four, What I have to do to set it up? Regards Enrique (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Enrique Suarez
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 TFTP log

I am new to Solaris 10 and am having an issue with a Solaris 10 system, which has had the TFTP Enabled and the TFTP "root" directory created with the desired files loaded into it. What I need is to review the log for the TFTP connections or attempted connections to try and verify the get/put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: campbelldw
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Enabling TFTP in Solaris 10

Hi, I was trying to enable TFTP on my Solaris 10. I started with un-commenting the tftp line in /etc/inetd.conf and inetconv -i /etc/inetd.conf for tftp installation. I did reboot the server afterwards, but i still cannot find the /tftpboot directory. though the return of svcs -a | grep -i tftp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: A.Salama
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Need help in configuring Password Constraints for Solaris 11.3

Hello Friends I was running Solaris 11.3 x86. Below is my configuration to set password Constraints. more /etc/default/passwd MAXWEEKS=4 MINWEEKS=1 WARNWEEKS=1 PASSLENGTH=8 NAMECHECK=YES HISTORY=4 MINDIFF=3 MINALPHA=2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jebby123
4 Replies
TFTPD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  TFTPD(8)

NAME
tftpd -- DARPA Trivial File Transfer Protocol server SYNOPSIS
tftpd [-n] [-s] [directory ...] DESCRIPTION
Tftpd is a server which supports the DARPA Trivial File Transfer Protocol. The TFTP server operates at the port indicated in the 'tftp' ser- vice description; see services(5). The server is normally started by inetd(8). The use of tftp(1) does not require an account or password on the remote system. Due to the lack of authentication information, tftpd will allow only publicly readable files to be accessed. Files may be written only if they already exist and are publicly writable. Note that this extends the concept of ``public'' to include all users on all hosts that can be reached through the network; this may not be appropriate on all systems, and its implications should be considered before enabling tftp service. The server should have the user ID with the lowest possible privilege. Access to files may be controlled by invoking tftpd with a list of directories by including pathnames as server program arguments in /etc/inetd.conf. In this case access is restricted to files whose names are prefixed by the one of the given directories. If no directories are supplied the default is /tftpboot. To give out access to the whole filesystem, should this be desired for some reason, supply / as an argument. Unfortunately, on multi-homed systems, it is impossible for tftpd to determine the address on which a packet was received. As a result, tftpd uses two different mechanisms to guess the best source address to use for replies. If the socket that inetd(8) passed to tftpd is bound to a particular address, tftpd uses that address for replies. Otherwise, tftpd uses ``UDP connect'' to let the kernel choose the reply address based on the destination of the replies and the routing tables. This means that most setups will work transparently, while in cases where the reply address must be fixed, the virtual hosting feature of inetd(8) can be used to ensure that replies go out from the correct address. These considerations are important, because most tftp clients will reject reply packets that appear to come from an unexpected address. The options are: -n Suppresses negative acknowledgement of requests for nonexistent relative filenames. -s All absolute filenames are treated as if they were preceded by the first directory argument, or /tftpboot if there is none. SEE ALSO
tftp(1), inetd(8) HISTORY
The tftpd command appeared in 4.2BSD. Linux NetKit (0.17) July 29, 2000 Linux NetKit (0.17)