Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete line in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete line in a file Post 71947 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 17th of May 2005 10:32:41 AM
Old 05-17-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike
yep that works. i was just curious
why does this work
/bin/echo "/$line/d\nwq!" | ex -s file.txt
but not this?
echo "/$line/d\nwq!" | ex -s file.txt
'echo' is a built-in in bash/ksh which has a different syntax than the /bin/echo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete line(s) from file

What is the easiest way to delete a line from a file? I have a file that contains list for Domestic and Foreign customers. I want to delete all lines staring with Foreing. TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete line from a file

Hi , I have a file it content is like that /vol.nas/u08/aip_triage/hany/Tesko/:CC::RPAS /home/biblawh/myscript:CC::RPAS i need to search for a certain pattern inside that file and delete the line if i find this pattern without redirecting the output into another file . so i used the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramezernest
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete a line from the file

Hi, I have a file which contains entries with different numbers, for example: 275|24hroff|sel,fill,dbw| 2758|24hroff|sel,fill,dbw| 2765|24hroff|sel,fill,dbw| 2920|24hroff|sel,fill,dbw| I need to delete a line which contains certian number, for instance 275 I was trying to use 'sed' but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a line from a file

Hi, Need to delete a line from a file, file is too large so cannot use vi. I know the line number that has to be deleted... How can this be done ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohini
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first line from file and more....

Hello, I have to deal with several files that will be named something like this: E00001.TXT, E00002.TXT etc. Each file will have a alpha character on the first position of the first line which I want to place in a variable, then delete the entire line leaving the remainder of text. This new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfb500
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line from file

hi all, i have trackfile.txt which contains the data as 0 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/t1 1 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/t2 2 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/t3 3 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/t4 if user says delete 1 then i want to delete 1 /home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/t2 line from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a particular line from a file

I have a file of following form 2886758410 2886758500 17 1999-Mar-18 16:26:26 1 0 52 139 1129 2886758420 2886758500 17 1999-Mar-18 16:26:35 1 0 52 139 1131 2886758420 2886758500 17 1999-Mar-18 16:26:41 0 0 56 56 1132... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete either of one line from file.?

Hi gurus, I have one file it may contains one line is "START" or "FINISH" either one of them. I use below command to delete it, but it doens't work. sed '/^START\|^END/d' <inputfile > outfile anybody can help me to fix this. thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File same line delete

Hi, I want to do file1 to file2. Rows will be different every time. Thanks. file1 Fru-Name :BCNMB-B Fru-Location :/chassis-1/motherboard-1 Node-Name :LMP-1-1-1 Fru-Name :BMPP2-B Fru-Location :/chassis-1/slot-1 Node-Name :CFPU-0 Fru-Name :BMPP2-B Fru-Location... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozcanaydin
2 Replies
asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)					   User Commands					asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-delete-domain, delete-domain - deletes the givendomain SYNOPSIS
delete-domain [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--domaindir install_dir/domains] domain_name delete-domain deletes the specified domain. The domain must already exist and must be stopped. This command is supported in local mode only. OPTIONS
--domaindir directory where the domain is to be deleted. If specified, path must be accessible in the filesystem. If not speci- fied, the domain in the default install_dir/domains directory is deleted. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. OPERANDS
domain_name name of the domain. Must be a unique name. Example 1: Using delete-domain asadmin> delete-domain sampleDomain deleted domain sampleDomain successfully Where: the sampleDomain domain is deleted. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-domain(1AS), asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-list-domains(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-domain(1AS)