Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: why doesn't this work?????
Top Forums Programming why doesn't this work????? Post 7189 by Perderabo on Thursday 20th of September 2001 10:08:22 AM
Old 09-20-2001
Your syntax looks legal and I could not get it to fail. My best guess is that you have trailing whitespace characters after the backslash on the first line. The newline character on the first line must be immediately preceded by a backslash for this to work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i have tried but i can't get my internet connection to work???

for those who have read my earlier posts i have been trying for about a week and a half to get my internet connection working with no results... my isp is ex-pressnet (in VA)...one-way cable internet service (dial-up for uploads, cable for downloads) using a com21 cable modem...this is extremly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[help]Win98 doesn't respond

My system is combined by Win98 and sco opensever.......but when Win98 is starting .my computer doesn't respond........what can i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dingxf
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repquota doesn't work as Cronjob?!?

Hello: I'm trying to run repquota -ag > /home/usersdir/repquota.txt as a daily cronjob at midnight, but the file always ends up blank. I even tried writing a quick Perl script to e-mail me what running that command outputs, and it's nothing. Can root run repquota as a cronjob? Do I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b416
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep doesn't work within shell script?

I am trying to run the following code from a script file but it complains that syntax of (both instances of) grep is wrong. When I copy and paste it to the terminal, it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be? set i = `grep -c #define flags.h` while ($i>20) @ i-- my func (`cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What hapens if a group member doesn't exist?

As part of a NIS implementation, (I think) I want to create a group (in /etc/group) that has users that do not exist on the target machine. What effect will this have? Will it cause any problems? Thanks, Gary Cooper (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gary Cooper
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unmount doesn't work

Hi guys, I've been trying to unmount a floppy like this: unmount /mnt/floppy But then I get a "command not found" message."mount" works,but why not unmount? I've also tried "eject" but all it does is open up my cdrom drive and I tried "eject /mnt/floppy" but I get an error that says Invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISTURBED
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my case statement doesn't work..

CO UNixware 7.1.1 Hi friends, I have chopped my case statementt out of my .profile and put it in another script called setsid. The case statement works when run from my .profile but not from my setsid file. All that the script does is set an environmental variable based on user input.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshy
7 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

My ATX System Doesn't power off

Hello! Will someone help me find a solution to my computer systems which as windows 98 and Windows 2000 professional running on it. After shutting down the system the system will prompt system shutdown but it will not power off the system( the system as an ATX power system) . Therefore it is as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD