Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux kills windows :(
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux kills windows :( Post 71796 by woofie on Sunday 15th of May 2005 07:40:21 PM
Old 05-15-2005
Linux kills windows :(

Hey all,

I've tired installing Suse 9.2 (DVD) on my computer, dual boot. But everytime I do it Linux seems to kill my Windows install.

This is my setup, a 120GB HDD and for 30GB for Windows 60GB for Data and 30 GB for Linux.

Windows works fine, then install SuSe and that works fine. But when booting Windows it always comes up with a <Windows root directory>\System32\hal.dll file error. It has done this 3 times already. I've tired changing the partitions around a little (sizes), but still fails.

Any idea's how I can stop this?

Thanks in advance for the help Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

application exit kills shells

Hi all, I start my application from a shell command-line. When I exit my application, it kills the shell that its returning too. Worse yet, since I have init respawning the shell all those subsequent shells get killed automatically...so I get output like the following (the >> is the prompt for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: q1001001
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kills command

what are the header files required for the kills command in kernel version 2.4? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shwe
1 Replies

3. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script, child kills parent

Hello everyone, I'm trying to write a script, i would like to say the child kills the parent, how would i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy21
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc over an ssh tunnel Linux to Linux to Windows

I *think* what I want to do is not only possible but easy, but as a "dummy" :) I can't figure it out. Here's what I have: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) laptop that is not in my house, but has an Internet connection. Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) computer in my house that has unfettered access to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WesleyC
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A Program Which Generates a Script Which Kills It

I have a C++ program, running on Fedora Linux, which has to be able to update itself to a new version, which it can obtain from a server. The way I do this is to have it create a shell script which kills it (the parent process), uninstalls it, downloads the new version (actually it does this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)