Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing effective user
Special Forums Cybersecurity Changing effective user Post 7060 by Perderabo on Tuesday 18th of September 2001 09:56:28 AM
Old 09-18-2001
It suid bit controls the switch of the effective uid. The sticky bit has nothing to do with it. And modern kernels will ignore the suid and sgid bits when executing scripts.

There is a program called "sudo" that can let a user run a script with another uid's authority. That is what I would recommend. sudo is a public domain program available from various archive sites.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing permissions of a user

So I need to change the permissions of my user account. I can access the root account on the server, but don't know how to change the permissions of my user account. I was advised to try 'userconf' to see if I am part of a group, but I dunno how that works. ANyone who knows how to see the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achink125
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the Effective Group ID

Here is my situation. On a RedHat 7.3 box, I have a user named jody. When I log in with jody and type in "id", I get the expected output: uid=1(jody) gid=1(jody) groups=1(jody), 510(test) However, I cannot figure which "id" option allows me to change the effective gid. I tried the options... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
2 Replies

3. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

4. AIX

Changing User Characteristics

We use smitty to administer user accounts. Is it safe to make changes to the characteristics of a user while the user is logged in? Can I set "Is this user ACCOUNT LOCKED?" to true ? Can I set an expiration date on an account? Will this effect the user in anyway during their current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris user changing password

i created 1 user . Now its passwd time period get expired. Now how can I set password for that user. Also how can I set a condition such a way that after every 3 months user must change his passwd. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkraj
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the user id or euid of the shell itself

Hi all, Ok, bear with me on this one, I am a bit new to Unix and it might take me a little bit of time to articulate my question. I know that every process has a user id and an effective user id. This seems to include the shell itself, because when I type 'ps', I see 'bash' listed as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oddthingy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] effective user id upon exec

Hello all. Despite the exec man page, the exec system call seems to turn my effective-user-id into my real-user-id. I coded and compiled 2 very simple c programs as user 1 (uid=501) The first one (A) prints real and effective user IDs and then execs the second one (B), which in turn prints... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: oviv
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User id who is changing the script.

can we know the user id who changed saved script in cron tab..:D (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent the user from changing his directory

Hi could some let me know how to prevent user from changing his home directory....... Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
1 Replies

10. Programming

Real, effective and saved user id in C program

I figured it out by now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
0 Replies
SETRESUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SETRESUID(2)

NAME
setresuid, setresgid - set real, effective and saved user or group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setresuid(uid_t ruid, uid_t euid, uid_t suid); int setresgid(gid_t rgid, gid_t egid, gid_t sgid); DESCRIPTION
setresuid sets the real user ID, the effective user ID, and the saved set-user-ID of the current process. Unprivileged user processes (i.e., processes with each of real, effective and saved user ID nonzero) may change the real, effective and saved user ID, each to one of: the current uid, the current effective uid or the current saved uid. The super-user may set real, effective and saved user ID to arbitrary values. If one of the parameters equals -1, the corresponding value is not changed. Completely analogously, setresgid sets the real, effective and saved group ID's of the current process, with the same restrictions for pro- cesses with each of real, effective and saved user ID nonzero. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The current process was not privileged and tried to change the IDs is a not allowed way. CONFORMING TO
This call is nonstandard. HISTORY
This system call was first introduced in HP-UX. It is available under Linux since Linux 2.1.44. These days it is also found in FreeBSD (for emulation of Linux binaries). NOTES
Under HP-UX and FreeBSD the prototype is found in <unistd.h>. Under Linux there is so far no include file giving the prototype - this is a glibc bug. Programs using this system call must add the prototype themselves. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), setuid(2), setreuid(2), getresuid(2) Linux 2.1.44 2001-11-15 SETRESUID(2)