Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp access problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ftp access problem Post 6990 by nitin on Monday 17th of September 2001 01:06:40 PM
Old 09-17-2001
You said remote. Are you behind a firewall? If you are, make sure ftp traffic is allowed. Telnet to Rh Box, and see what services are running (just to be sure!).
HTH,
Ciao.

Last edited by nitin; 09-17-2001 at 02:09 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Solaris 8 ftp access

I just setup my ftp server on Solaris 8. Everything works fine...except I do not want to allow certain users to be able to change directories outside of their /home directory. In other wors I don't want everyone to be able to view files in other folders outside of their home directoy. I know how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jskillet
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP access problems

Current setup: I am running Solaris 8 and PROFtpd. I have my network functioning correctly. The server can be pinged from any machine on the network. There is no firewall between the client and the server. The proftpd service is running using the correct and only proftpd.conf file in standalone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbis12
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP user access

I created a user which I would like to have access only to FTP. I am able to get FTP to the machine with that user, but I only want him to have access to two directories, and no shell access. How can I accomplish this? Thanx, Aaron (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Access

How to restrict ftp user to move to the parent directory of his home directory. Any suggestions will be appreciated. O.S Sun solaris Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehgalniraj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP - remote access

Hi All, I want to ftp a file from Windows 2000 to Unix. The file is present in a remote server which has been mapped to one of my drives. I am not able to connect to that directory. I am getting an error saying ?Invalid command 550 //hbxs02/shared No such file or directory. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP access

Folks; I'm working on building ACL for our Solaris 10 box. I'm going to use LDAP for authentication. We have a mounted drive on that server & users would like to be able to write to it. We need to restrict the write access to that mounted drive on the box to be only through FTP, so if they... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
13 Replies

7. Solaris

how to deny ftp access

Hi , I want to deny ftp access to some user. Currently I don't have /etc/ftpusers file. From the man page , i can modify the login shell at /etc/passwd to invalid one. How to add it ? replaced with /dev/null or something. If you have any other method to disabled it . Pls show me. My FTP is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

FTP access problem

Hi dear all When i try to connect to an ftp site it shows the following error "An FTP authentication failure occurred while trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://xyz.org/ Squid sent the following FTP command: PASS <yourpassword> and then received this reply User anonymous cannot log in" I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfer24
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP and access rights

Hello all, I am currently writing an application that besides other thing ,ftps files from remote machines (running linux and solaris). My problem is this: i am connecting to remote machines as a user other than root and i have found that there is a possibility that i will encounter folders with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noam128
3 Replies

10. AIX

ftp access without shell access

Hi all, I'm using AIX v 5.3 I want to create system users to access through ftp or sftp and restrict those users into specific directory and don't traverse the whole file system just to be restricted within a directory and don't get shell access . i don't want to use any other third party... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
7 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev and /sys to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show version number and exit RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
mount(8) chroot(2) init(8) mkinitrd(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)