Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server Post 69767 by sdlayeeq on Tuesday 19th of April 2005 11:27:36 PM
Old 04-20-2005
Question chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server

Hi gurus !

I am developing a FTP script which will copy all the files from one server to another server and then I need to use CHMOD 755 * to set permissions of all the files just copied to the remote server.

mput *
chmod 755 *

CHMOD gives me an error [ *: No such file or directory ]

CHMOD works fine If I specify the full file name instead, any help????

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message; chmod: WARNING: can't change home ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncarmstrong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod permissions

Is there any way that you can set it up so when you create a file it has the chmod permissions of u+x? I am not a root user on the system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himurak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and chmod numeric permissions

Hello, When I do a "ls -l" I can see my directories have drwxr-xr-xr. I am more used to the chmod numerical syntax like 755. Is there an easy way to list out the numerical permissions rather than rwx etc. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Access to FTP server not working

I am trying to setup an FTP server in a Fedora Core 3 machine through the command line interface and not KDE. I think I am successful in getting the ftp service running, as when I do an ftp 127.0.0.1, I am able to log in using any one the user accounts I have created on this machine and browse... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooljumbo2k8
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod remote server file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. Pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod on a remote server -solved

hello, I am trying to copy a file over to a set of aix servers and then set the file permissions, owner, group etc and all of this logged in as sudo. I was able to copy the file over using rcp - i know its not secure or not best way to copy - but unable to execute chmod on the remote server as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: in5ane
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP using script not working (for transfering file from a remote unix server to windows PC.)

hi, Im using the following code for FTP #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp -v -n "10.29.45.11" << cmd user "mahesva" "mahesva123" get rtl.tar quit cmd Below is the log when i run the above code ********************************** Connected to 10.29.45.11. 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1) 530 Please login with USER... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
20 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access permissions chmod 606

Hi All I am running Ubuntu linux flavour. I need provide multiple users belonging to the same group access to a dir where they can write files but are not supposed to remove or rename files. users outside the group should be able to read and write to the dir. i have set the permission of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simza
7 Replies
CHMOD(2)							System Calls Manual							  CHMOD(2)

NAME
chmod - change mode of file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> int chmod(const char *path, mode_t mode) DESCRIPTION
The file whose name is given by path has its mode changed to mode. Modes are constructed by or'ing together some combination of the fol- lowing, defined in <sys/stat.h>: S_ISUID 04000 set user ID on execution S_ISGID 02000 set group ID on execution S_ISVTX 01000 `sticky bit' (see below) S_IRWXU 00700 read, write, execute by owner S_IRUSR 00400 read by owner S_IWUSR 00200 write by owner S_IXUSR 00100 execute (search on directory) by owner S_IRWXG 00070 read, write, execute by group S_IRGRP 00040 read by group S_IWGRP 00020 write by group S_IXGRP 00010 execute (search on directory) by group S_IRWXO 00007 read, write, execute by others S_IROTH 00004 read by others S_IWOTH 00002 write by others S_IXOTH 00001 execute (search on directory) by others If mode ISVTX (the `sticky bit') is set on a directory, an unprivileged user may not delete or rename files of other users in that direc- tory. (Minix-vmd) Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change the mode. Writing or changing the owner of a file turns off the set-user-id and set-group-id bits unless the user is the super-user. This makes the system somewhat more secure by protecting set-user-id (set-group-id) files from remaining set-user-id (set-group-id) if they are modified, at the expense of a degree of compatibility. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Chmod will fail and the file mode will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] The path name exceeds PATH_MAX characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. (Minix-vmd) [EPERM] The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file and the effective user ID is not the super-user. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), open(2), chown(2), stat(2). NOTES
The sticky bit was historically used to lock important executables into memory. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 13, 1986 CHMOD(2)