Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Trapping Interrupt From 'ulimit' Post 69685 by mrnuttynuts on Tuesday 19th of April 2005 02:25:51 AM
Old 04-19-2005
Apologies... i happened to send the post without giving the output for the failure of trap.

It goes like this.

==================================================
#!/bin/ksh

ulimit -t 1

trap 'echo "CPU time limit exceeded"; exit 2' XCPU

find / -name "*haha*" 2> /dev/null

Output:
asakpal[/export/home/asakpal] ksh f.sh
f.sh[17]: 13404 Cpu Limit Exceeded
asakpal[/export/home/asakpal] echo $?
asakpal[/export/home/asakpal]

==================================================

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erase and interrupt keys

This is on our Ultra 5/10 Sparc with Solaris 9. I need to store the following (stty) keys in the .profile and /etc/profile files as shown here. erase "Back Space Key" Interrupt "Ctrl + C" I need the exact syntax/procudure as I have to set these two keys whenever I login to the terminal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt level 14 woes

Hi there, My first post here. Currently, i have been experiencing this error quite frequently on a ultra5 com. Things i have done is changing a new hdd and mem modules but i still encounter this error. Some messages from the var/adm WARNING: uncorrectable error from pci0 (upa mid 0) during... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerwen
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timer interrupt

hello all since a process running in kernel mode cannnot be preempted by any other process what would be the status of Timer interrupt that occurs when the time quantum of a process is elapsed? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an interrupt in a script?

Is it possible to sent a ^C interrupt via the command line? For example if I want to tail a log for 10 minutes at a time, kill the tail and then start it again is there a way to go about that? I would imagine there would be some way to do it by finding and killing the PID, but I'm curious if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interrupt handling in k shell

Hi All, Is interrupt handling possible in k shell? Say if the user press CTRL-C or CTRl-D,I want to perform a particular action before terminating? Thnaks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hunting down for software interrupt causes

Hi, i have an rhel box with around 20 %soft every 2 seconds. The box is idle. How do i start hunting down what's causing this? i believe /proc/interrupts is hardware related, procinfo is basically the same. where else can i look? thanks, Marc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source

I receive the following warning messages on a very new machine which has FreeBSD 8.1 x64 installed on it: Interrupt storm detected on "irq 20" throttling interrupt source It is unclear what this means and what its origins are (motherboard? CPU? RAM?). I can start the desktop and the message is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is there any shell command to show which interrupt handler handle which interrupt number?

Hi, all: Is there any shell command to show which interrupt handler handle which interrupt number in the system? li,kunlun (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Alarm interrupt and multithreading

Hi Friends any know how became a friend in this Android Programming Language (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljarun
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to interrupt running application?

Hello i have problem passing ctrl+C into shell script this script will run application and return value but never ends and stay running. i tried trap and not working at all the command should look like this : sarm pcsp -s CHG_M_P1 i want something to stop this command after... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
9 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)