Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual boot Red Hat and 2000
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dual boot Red Hat and 2000 Post 6914 by Scorp on Friday 14th of September 2001 07:08:24 PM
Old 09-14-2001
you have to manually add the RH partitions when dual booting with redhat

you might want to create

a swap partition (2x the ram u have so if u have 64 mbs this partition should be 128 mbs)
and a 20 mb boot partition

and the rest of the space should go to a / (root) partition, some might argue you may need more, search the web make ur decision

umm in RH 7.0+ (as far as i know) you need to select "custom installation" and then it'll let you partition it on your own.

good luck.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot windows 2000 and solaris 8

Hello I recently purchased solaris 8 and I want to dual boot with windows 2000. What is the easiest way to install the solaris OS with the existing windows 2000? mogfog (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogfog
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Red Hat Linux Boot Problems

Hi. I have an 81 gig hard drive and split it up into 2 partitions. One for linux and the other for windows. I had my windows up and running and it was doing fine. Then i started my linux. I go Red Hat Linux out and installed it on the partition. This all worked out well. However, when i rebooted... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

red hat linux installation boot floppy disk

Hi, My dear friends, I am trying to install red hat linux. I have downloaded its disc1. On the instructions page, the next stage is to make the boot disk, so that I can boot from the floppy. However, I am unable to locate the boot image iso file. I tried on google, but I got a few files which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Linux

How to remove Red Hat 4 OS from dual boot

Hi Xperts out there Previously i have Vista Standard installed in my notebook. Then i have installed Red Hat 4 and currently my notebook are dual boot OS. Now i'm thinking to remove all my Red Hat 4 out. So how to achive this without risking my Vista Standard. :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
5 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

make Ubuntu and Red Hat boot partitions

Is it possible to make multiboot partitions of Ubuntu and red hat Linux? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues

I have a pentium IV with 512 MB ram and 80 GB HDD. I first installed windows XP on the first primary partition, then Solaris on the second with 20 GB for the solaris partition, and when rebooted , the grub menu functioned as expected giving me the options to dual boot, so next I wanted to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Buffer I/O error in red hat linux boot up

I get error message when boot up red hat linux Buffer I/O error on device hdc ,logical block XX ... /dev/hdc:read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0 : input/output error ..... I paste the /etc/fstab file in here /dev/hdc is cdrom How can I fix it Please advice # cat /etc/fstab # This file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies
KPARTX(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Readonly partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)