Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Slower slower dead
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Slower slower dead Post 6896 by Neo on Friday 14th of September 2001 12:11:37 PM
Old 09-14-2001
You may have a process running with a memory leak. So, you need to isolate the leak by finding a way to take periodic snapshots of the process table and write them to a file with a time stamp. Then, when you reboot the machine, you can log in and find the offending process.

ps with right right switches, exeuted from the crontab, and output redirected properly, will do the trick.

On the other hand, you can just login when the system has been running for a while and manually check your processes. You may easily find it that way if you can get in, remotely.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

TCP/IP send getting slower

Hi, We have developed a server program using TCP/IP Communication to communicate with another client program. After running for some days we find the TCP/IP connection from the server program is getting slower ie, the messages are not send quickly to the client. What i mean to say is since the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_puru
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TCP/IP Connection getting slower...

Hi, We have developed a server program using TCP/IP Communication to communicate with another client program. After running for some days we find the TCP/IP connection from the server program is getting slower. What i mean to say is since the send() function in the server program (it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_puru
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Why is restore slower than backup?

After my big disaster, I'm restoring from tape on my Sun box. This is the second time I've used 'ufsrestore' with this DEC TZ88 SCSI DLT drive. The last time was for a migration from one box to another. Both the last time and this time, the restore has taken a hell of a lot longer than the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is cut slower than awk?

Hi all, for test reasons I tried the following two one-liners: time awk '{print $4}' T_64xSC_128RW_K500.dat > /dev/nulland time cut -d" " -f6 T_64xSC_128RW_K500.dat > /dev/nullThe file contains approx. 250k lines. awk does it in 0.15 secs (real), cut in 0.44. The user time has about the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BandGap
3 Replies

5. Linux

GCC compiles a lot slower than it should

Hello everyone, i'm having a problem compiling an application i'm developing. For a month, while developing, i did lots of compilations to test it. While compiling, i noticed gcc did it pretty slow, but gave it no importance. I'm using ubuntu 10.04 32bits, and my pc has: - Dual core intel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadon
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Usenet is dead

On servers i check there seems to be no news at all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed is dead

Hello everybody, I'm new to bash scripting (and scripting in general) but I'm making decent progress in the hands-on solutions I need... I've encountered a problem that seemed very simple to me at first, but had me going on for hours. Maybe you can help me. Say I have an input text file like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Job Run Slower using Autosys than running through terminal

Hi All, We run Many jobs evryday using Autosys. Sometimes due to various reason we got to run the job from terminal as well (using nohup). We observed that the job running through terminal(nohup) takes much less time then the autosys (for same job). What can be the possible reason for such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kg_gaurav
1 Replies
mysql(1)							  MySQL database							  mysql(1)

NAME
mysql_fix_privilege_tables - Fixes MySQL privilege tables. SYNOPSIS
mysql_fix_privilege_tables [mysql_root_password] DESCRIPTION
This scripts updates the mysql.user, mysql.db, mysql.host and the mysql.func tables to MySQL 3.22.14 and above. This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions, CREATE AGGREGATE FUNCTION or want to use the more secure passwords in 3.23 If you get 'Access denied' errors, run the script again and give the MySQL root user password as an argument. SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), replace(1) For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org>. MySQL is available at http://www.mysql.com/. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 17 March 2003 mysql(1)