Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: search and Replace
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users search and Replace Post 6873 by LivinFree on Friday 14th of September 2001 03:13:29 AM
Old 09-14-2001
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# check.sh
# This script takes two arguments -
# The first is the word you a looking for,
# and the second is the file you want to find
# the word in.
# Example: check.sh lamb haggis
# Will look for the word "lamb" in the file "haggis"
if [ "$#" -ne "2" ] ; then
     echo "Usage: "
     echo "`basename $0` {search string} {file} "
     exit 2
fi
if [ -f "$2" ] ; then
grep "$1" $2 > /dev/null 
case $? in
     0) echo -e "\nThe word \"$1\" was found in the \"$2\" file! \n" ;;
     *) echo -e "\nThe word \"$1\" was NOT found in the \"$2\" file! \n" ;;
esac
exit 0
else
echo "The \"$2\" file does not exist"
exit 2
fi

This is one of many ways to do it...

Last edited by LivinFree; 09-14-2001 at 04:16 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace

hi all, the problem is like this...... i setup a file (Env.txt) which handles all the values. NAME1=xxxxxx, where xxxxx is the value NAME2=xxxxxx GGGGG=uusufu I have 6 files, where i will append the values from env.txt. These files has no specific format. all i want is to append the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace

I have a script which has several occurences of statement like command: $UCMDPATH/xyz abc I would like to replace the entire line starting from $UCMDPATH with the ls -ltr command eg: Prior to change:: command: $UCMDPATH/xyz abc After change: command: ls -ltr Is there a way to do... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace

Hi!!! I have following xml file with 3 sections. aaa1bbb-ccc default aaa1bbbdd default 0 11 23 * * aaa2bbb-ccc default aaa2bbbdd default 0 11 23 * * aaa3bbb-ccc default aaa3bbbdd default 0 15 23 * * (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Replace

I am trying to search and replace using two different files with strict search rules. One file contain some data and the other file contain some numbers as shown below. DataFile.txt >L1_T1 text data... text data.. >L1_T1 text data... text data.. >L1_T1 text data... text data.. ........ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with search and replace or search only of / in vi

Hi all, I am editing a config file in vi that has a / on it. At the moment, search and replace looks alright as am able to use a # as a temporary separator, i.e. :,$s#/u01/app#/u02/app#g For doing a search, I have to escape the / do. So if I want to search for /u01/app, I am having to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi search and replace

Hi, I need help with search and replace for the following string using vi .. if ];then to if ];then can this be done in one search and replace or need multiple ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies
LEVENSHTEIN(3)								 1							    LEVENSHTEIN(3)

levenshtein - Calculate Levenshtein distance between two strings

SYNOPSIS
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2) DESCRIPTION
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2, int $cost_ins, int $cost_rep, int $cost_del) The Levenshtein distance is defined as the minimal number of characters you have to replace, insert or delete to transform $str1 into $str2. The complexity of the algorithm is O(m*n), where n and m are the length of $str1 and $str2 (rather good when compared to simi- lar_text(3), which is O(max(n,m)**3), but still expensive). In its simplest form the function will take only the two strings as parameter and will calculate just the number of insert, replace and delete operations needed to transform $str1 into $str2. A second variant will take three additional parameters that define the cost of insert, replace and delete operations. This is more general and adaptive than variant one, but not as efficient. PARAMETERS
o $str1 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $str2 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $cost_ins - Defines the cost of insertion. o $cost_rep - Defines the cost of replacement. o $cost_del - Defines the cost of deletion. RETURN VALUES
This function returns the Levenshtein-Distance between the two argument strings or -1, if one of the argument strings is longer than the limit of 255 characters. EXAMPLES
Example #1 levenshtein(3) example <?php // input misspelled word $input = 'carrrot'; // array of words to check against $words = array('apple','pineapple','banana','orange', 'radish','carrot','pea','bean','potato'); // no shortest distance found, yet $shortest = -1; // loop through words to find the closest foreach ($words as $word) { // calculate the distance between the input word, // and the current word $lev = levenshtein($input, $word); // check for an exact match if ($lev == 0) { // closest word is this one (exact match) $closest = $word; $shortest = 0; // break out of the loop; we've found an exact match break; } // if this distance is less than the next found shortest // distance, OR if a next shortest word has not yet been found if ($lev <= $shortest || $shortest < 0) { // set the closest match, and shortest distance $closest = $word; $shortest = $lev; } } echo "Input word: $input "; if ($shortest == 0) { echo "Exact match found: $closest "; } else { echo "Did you mean: $closest? "; } ?> The above example will output: Input word: carrrot Did you mean: carrot? SEE ALSO
soundex(3), similar_text(3), metaphone(3). PHP Documentation Group LEVENSHTEIN(3)