Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Large files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Large files Post 68108 by zazzybob on Thursday 31st of March 2005 05:52:13 AM
Old 03-31-2005
This is still going to be slow, but nethertheless, if you're using GNU grep (please state if you're not, try "grep --version", if this displays an error, you're not using GNU grep), do something like the following....

Code:
grep -C 50 "my_timestamp_here" logfile > matched_lines

As I say, if you're not using GNU grep let us know which OS/shell you're using and we'll assist further.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large files

Hi Unix gurus, We have a masterfile which is to be split into smallerfiles with names as masterfile00,masterfile01,masterfile03...etal I was able to split the file using the "Split" cmd but as masterfileaa,masterfileab.. Is it posiible to change the default suffix? or is there any other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rvbs
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large files?

How do we check 'large files' is enabled on a Unix box -- HP-UX B11.11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzipping large (2+ gb) files.

Is it possible? I am trying to do it with gzip 1.2.4 and it comes back saying the file type is too large. Any way to compress massive things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring large no. of files

dears, I have a folder containing huge no. of files, some of them are created on AUG 16, AUG 17 and AUG 18, for example. All I want to do is tarring all the files created on a certain date, say AUG 18, in one tar file, only in one command line. So, how to feed all the files created on a certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to find large files

I have found the following code on this forum ls -lh | awk '{print $5,$9}' | sort -n Its purpose is to show a list of files in a dir sorted by file size. I need to make it recursive ls -lhR | awk '{print $5,$9}' | sort -n The problem is that there are lots of files on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadionne
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 Large files

Hi, i want to compare 2 large files both around 300 mb. They are text files having only one column of numbers. I wish to get the unique values in file2. I tried using diff but it gave an error of memory exhausted. Both files are sorted and i am running on a 1gb ram core 2 duo 2ghz. Help!! Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bezudar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Large Files

When I have a file for example with the wrong name I normally use the cp {filename} {new filename} comand so I will have the original as well as the correct named file. Just for backup purposes. Problem: I have a file that is 24gb with a case sensitive filename. The file was named with upper... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek88
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

9. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Iconv on large files

Hi All, I am using iconv to convert huge files. the process is getting killed. I tried the option in below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/258825-iconv-large-files.html i.e iconv -f UCS-2 -t UTF-8 < inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt However, the process still gets... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies
smcwebserver(1M)                                          System Administration Commands                                          smcwebserver(1M)

NAME
smcwebserver - manage the server for the Sun Web Console SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/smcwebserver subcommand options DESCRIPTION
The smcwebserver utility manages the Sun Web Console server. Sun Web Console is a browser-based interface that performs systems management. System administrators can manage systems, devices and services from the console. When the console webserver is running, you can view the console by opening a browser and pointing to: https://host:6789 host is the machine where the console has been installed and the console server is running. SUBCOMMANDS
The following subcommands are supported: disable Disable automatic start or stop during system boot or shutdown. Until the administrator reruns the script with the smcweb- server enable subcommand the webserver can be started/stopped only when the administrator executes the script manually using the following command: # /usr/sbin/smcwebserver [start | stop] enable Enable the webserver to startup automatically during subsequent system boot and gracefully stop during system shutdown. restart Stop and subsequently start the console webserver. The format of the restart subcommand is: restart [-U username] start Start the console webserver. The format of the start subcommand is: start [-U username] stop Stop the console webserver. status Display status of the console webserver. The format of the status subcommand is: status [-p] OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -U username | --username usernamThe user identity to run the server as. Once the server has successfuly started under the specified iden- tity, all subsequent starts will automatically be done under that identity until you change it via this option, or by changing the com.sun.web.console.user configuration property via the smreg(1M) command. The default is to run the server under the "noaccess" identity. -p | --parseable Display non-localized output suitable for programmatic parsing. If the server is running, the output will be: running=yes If the server is not running, the output will be: running=no -h | --help | -? Display the usage statement. -V | --version Display console version information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying the Usage Statement The following command displays the smcwebserver usage statement: % smcwebserver --help Example 2: Determining if the Server is Running The following shell command will start the server if it is not already running. ans=`smcwebserver -p | grep running | cut -d"=" -f2` if [ "$ans" = "no" ]; then smcwebserver start fi ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of smcwebserver: JAVA_HOME If you do not specify this environment variable, your PATH is searched for a suitable java. Otherwise, depending on the OS, the follow- ing default locations are used: Solaris: /usr/j2se Linux: /usr/java/j2sdk1.4* EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmcon | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
smreg(1M), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 27 May 2004 smcwebserver(1M)