Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making boot disks in SCO
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Making boot disks in SCO Post 6807 by Neo on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 06:41:03 PM
Old 09-12-2001
No problem making boot disks while running.

fms-httpd is some kind of web-server process Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

making a boot server

I'm trying to make a boot server so I can net boot another machine that doesnt have a cdrom. I want to boot this machine so i can go in and erase the (unknown to us) root password. on solaris 9, i ran setup_install_server -b /export/install I entered the clients machines mac address and ip in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 Installation Will Not Boot From CD Disks

Problem: Am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a desktop PC (PC details unspecified) from downloaded iso images (5 in all) on 5 CD disks. These were downloaded from the Sun website and unzipped. I install Disk 1of 5 into the CD drive and then restart the machine, thinkng that it will launch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grub to boot from different disks

Hello, I'm working on a x86 machine with 3 disks installed. I need to boot from disk to disk, but I cannot figure out how to do this using Grub. The O/S is Solaris 10 and grub version is 0.95 Can anyone give me any help with this? Thanks, James. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeijmae
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Migrate VxVM boot disks to higher capacity disk

Hi, Im getting a downtime of 4 hrs to do porting of bootdisks. Currently, the system is running on Sf4800. 2 internal disk 36G connected to a SE3510 storage. We're getting 72G disks and we want to restore the OS from the current 36G to the 72G disk. System is under veritas volume manager ctrl.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Making one binary image containing boot loader and linux

Hi, I want to have one binary image that contains both my boot loader as well as the OS(linux) image at pre defined offsets which i can use to program flash . Can anyone help in this direction? Regards Subrata (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: subratasaharia
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to create multiple-boot system with disks mirrored(RAID1+0) and disk alone

I have a HP proliant ML 570 G3 with two 146GB disk drives mirrored(RAID1+0) windows server 2003 was installed on that disk. I will add a disk.(scsi 300GB) I will install Linux on that additional disk. I want to create multiple-boot system. Is it possible? I wanna know how to create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Persistent boot disks issue

Hi all, please i need your help urgently I am faced to a serious boot disks issue on an Sun Fire E2900. The system run with two disque in zpool . The operating system is Solaris 10 (ZFS) The first time the issue occured, i got the error below on the two disks: Apr 7 08:04:33... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saki_jumeau
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Fire 480 - devfsadm -C not working after replacing one of the boot disks

Our SunFire 480 - one of the boot disks failed. It is mirrored with VxVm. I followed the exact steps that is detailed in the veritas and sun guides (I can not post the URL since I don't have 5 posts yet.) After removing the failed disk, I ran devfsadm -C -c disk and it still shows the device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
7 Replies

9. SCO

SCO Will Not Boot

Hello to all , I am new to this forum and also i have very less knowledge about sco unix, but I have good knowlage about Dos-Windows file systems since 1990 year :) and i am a professional IT person about Networking and computer hardware but as i said not know much about Unix based systems :( ,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meraklinext
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SCO OpenServer 5 Will Not Boot

We have a legacy system that runs on SCO OpenServer 5.0.6, and I've rebuilt the server a couple of times so we can have access to old historical data. That system suddenly went offline for no known reason, and I know that the configuration has not been altered, there is nobody with access to the... (63 Replies)
Discussion started by: spock9458
63 Replies
inittab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							inittab(4)

NAME
inittab - Controls the initialization process SYNOPSIS
/etc/inittab DESCRIPTION
The inittab file provides the init program with instructions for creating and running initialization processes. The init program reads the inittab file each time init is invoked. The file typically contains instructions for the default initialization, the creation and control of processes at each run level, and the getty command, which controls the activation of terminal lines. Each line in the inittab file contains an entry that has four fields; each field is separated by a colon. There is no limit to the number of entries in the inittab file. The entry syntax is as follows: Identifier:Runlevel:Action:Command Specifies a fourteen character field used to uniquely identify an object. Specifies a twenty character field that defines the run levels in which the object is to be processed. Runlevel corresponds to a configuration of processes in a system. Each process spawned by the init command is assigned one or more run levels in which it is allowed to exist. The run levels are as follows: Specifies the halt state. Specifies multiuser state without network services. Specifies multiuser state with network services. Specifies single-user state. You can define multiple run levels for a process by specifying more than one run level character in any combination. Specifies a twenty char- acter field that tells init how to treat the specified process. init recognizes the following Action values: Specifies that if the process does not exist or if it dies, init starts it. If the process exists, init continues to process the inittab file. Specifies that if init enters a run level that matches the run level specified in the inittab file entry, it starts the process and waits for its termination. As long as init continues in this run level, it does not act on subsequent reads of the entry in the inittab file. Specifies that if init enters a run level that matches the run level specified in the inittab file, it starts the process and does not wait for its termination. When the process stops, init does not restart it. If init enters a new run level where the process is still running from a previous run- level change, init does not restart the process. Specifies that when init first executes and reads the inittab file, it processes this entry. The init program starts the process and does not wait for its termination. When the process stops, init does not restart it. The run level specified in this inittab file entry should be the default run level, or it must match the run level in which init operates at boot time. Specifies that when init first executes and reads the inittab file, it processes this inittab file entry. The init program starts the process, waits for its termination and, when it dies, does not restart the process. (This value exists only for SVID3/SVR4 com- patibility.) Specifies that if init receives the SIGPWR power fail signal, it executes the process associated with this line. (This value exists only for SVID3/SVR4 compatibility.) Specifies that if init receives the SIGPWR power fail signal, it executes the process associ- ated with this line and waits until the process terminates before continuing processing the inittab file. Specifies that if the process associated with this line is currently running, init sends the warning signal SIGTERM and waits 20 seconds before sending the kill signal SIGKILL. If the process does not existent, init ignores the inittab entry. Specifies that a line with this action is processed when init is originally invoked. The init program uses this line to determine the run level to enter originally. It determines this by taking the highest run level specified in the run level field and using that as its initial state. If the run level field is empty, this is inter- preted as 0s23, causing init to enter run level 3. If init does not find an initdefault entry in the inittab file, it requests an initial run level from the operator. Specifies that entries of this type are executed before init tries to access the console. This inittab file entry should be used only to initialize devices on which init could attempt to request a run level. Specifies a 1024 character field that contains the sh command to be executed. The command is prefixed with exec. Any legitimate sh syntax can appear in the command field. Com- ments can be inserted be specifying a number sign (#). The line continuation character can be placed at the end of a line. EXAMPLES
The following is an example of an inittab file entry for a terminal line: tty01:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty08 9600 vt100 FILES
Specifies the command that initializes and controls terminal lines. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), getty(8) Functions: kill(2) delim off inittab(4)