Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab - URGENT pls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Crontab - URGENT pls Post 6765 by cfoxwell on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 04:44:15 AM
Old 09-12-2001
I presume that you are using a shell script to run this back up.

What you could do is to do a test condition on the last command to see if was a success. zero being a success and anything else a fail.

For example

tar blah blah blah

if
[[ $? != 0 ]]

then
printf "There is a problem with the back up\n"
else
printf "The Backup Was Ok\n"
fi

I guess you could replace the printf with the command 'wall'
man wall for more details.

Hope this is of some help.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pls help on crontab

how to schedule shellscripts using cron tab (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss4u
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help.. Really Urgent

Hi, I am creating a pipe in a directory $HOME/pipes. The pipename should be L${PROGNAME}. Whenever i embed these lines in shell script, i get an error mkfifo: No such file or directory. I am creating a pipe with the key word mkfifo $HOME/pipes/L${PROGNAME}. Please help me how to get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavan.aero
5 Replies

3. Solaris

lex on solaris??? (urgent, pls!!!)

Hi everyone, I would like to know how to compile and run lex programs on solaris 10. the conventional way is $ lex <name.l> $ cc lex.yy.c -ll $ ./a.out but while trying to execute the 2nd command :i get a reference saying that the command is old or that main is not supported... Hence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not working...pls help:URGENT

Following is d code snipet #!/bin/ksh retVal=`sqlplus -s user/passwd\@oracle_sid <<EOF SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 100000 DECLARE STATUS_VALUE VARCHAR2(1); BEGIN SELECT temp1 INTO STATUS_VALUE FROM sai; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(STATUS_VALUE); END; / exit; EOF` echo "Return Value... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

URGENT :pls help

Following is d code snipet #!/bin/ksh retVal=`sqlplus -s user/passwd\@oracle_sid <<EOF SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 100000 DECLARE STATUS_VALUE VARCHAR2(1); BEGIN SELECT temp1 INTO STATUS_VALUE FROM sai; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(STATUS_VALUE); END; / exit; EOF` echo "Return Value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainathdeg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help me.. soon. Very urgent

I have downloaded the Putty SSH configuration. I have entered my Host name as illinois.engr.sjsu.edu and i am trying to save that. But i am unable to save. Also i opened the session and entered my log in name But it says using keyboard interactive authentication.I am not able to get into $ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VamsiVasili
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pls help me very urgent

will post again (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revertback
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me Pls Its Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, These are the text file I have //input1.txt// cd dir1/dir2/pg1.txt cd dir3/dir4/pg2.txt cd dir88/dir5/pg4.txt cd dir7/dir6/pg5.txt cd dir8/dir9/pg7.txt And each text file has some text. Now I have to write a shell script which reads input1.txt and changes the directory as shown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
1 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)