Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Accessing Multi Hard Disk & theme Post 6760 by killerserv on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 01:25:39 AM
Old 09-12-2001
Hie LivinFree,
I understand the process you would like me to do so i could link my second HDD. But the only thing im confused is Which one is my second HDD ( 2 HDD ).

Pls reply.
Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi disk hardware

Hi all, I purchased a pci controller card and a 3rd hard drive to put Linux on my machine. The card did not enable me to boot to the 3rd drive so I could not get Mandrake to install. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7DXR+. Can anyone point me to a reasonable card/connector which will allow me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Pen Drive & Hard Disk

Hi Guys, I have an external USB Hard Disk Drive on which I have 3 partitions and it works fine under Windows XP but when I am using Red Hat Linux 5 I don't see any icon for this USB HDD. Also I am not able to browse my USB Pen Drive. However, I can use it under Mandrake Linux without any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem Accessing disk

Basically I´m Absolutely New to Opensolaris (Started Using It This Morning), I´m Following A Tutorial On How To Access NTFS Partitions. Device Driver Utility Finds It And Says Everythings Fine With It DISK : ST3160022ACE Capacity : 160G Driver ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xXCanisLupusXx
7 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Accessing all of the hard drive...

Hi, I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu yesterday. It's the first time I have used it, so bear with me. I think I figured out how to get my sound drivers to work (X-Fi)... I had downloaded some OSS drivers, bout to go test them. But what I really want to know is... I have 2 hard drive,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blind melon
2 Replies

6. SCO

I need a help with accessing the hard drive

Hello guys, I have got from a friend a hard disk which was used in the SCO OpenServer. He needs some data from it. I have no clue how to copy its content with Linux or Windows-I have tried few Linux distros but the result is always the same-the file system is not recognized so can't be mounted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kataro
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem with accessing my 2nd hard drive

Hello I am having a problem with being able to use my 2nd hard drive as my new os doesn't recognize it. it is /dev/hdb2 and it shows as It is still in my system. it is a 73 gb hard drive and it is useless to me now. I used to have windows XP and had no problem with it,I have since changed to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donald Spauldin
2 Replies

8. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

9. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Accessing Hard Drives

Hi, I have two SCSI Hard Drives in a Sun Solaris 8 server as shown below. I would like to access Disk1 and look at its contents, directory structure and files. How do I change my default directory from Disk 0 to Disk 1 and vice versa? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
5 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)