Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: basic question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers basic question Post 6744 by Perderabo on Tuesday 11th of September 2001 10:37:29 AM
Old 09-11-2001
1. tset is a program used to set the TERM variable and various stty modes to initialize the users tty environment. I don't like the program and prefer to simply set my TERM variable and use stty as required. The -s makes it output shell commands. The first tset, which is invoked if TERM is not set, will ask the user to enter the terminal type and offer "hp" as a default. The program will then print "TERM=hp ; export TERM" or something very similiar. You can just type the command and observe the results. But this is done inside an eval ` ` construct. Eval is a shell built-in that evaluates its arguments and then executes the resulting command. Type
eval `echo date`
and maybe it will make sense.

2 "nobody" was introduced along with nfs. It's an anomymous user used in nfs security. A process can be given the uid "nobody" which then only allows it to access world readable programs. "noaccess" is similiar, but for files. No process should ever have the uid of noaccess.

3 nis or nis+ perhaps.

4 Now really. Add a line like "echo in .login" to each file and observe the results as you login.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

really basic for loop question

sorry for being dumb here, but is there a way my for loop can take an entire line of a file into consideration instead of each word in a line... ill explain if i have a file like this # cat list serial: 23124 hostname: server1 and a script that does this # cat list.sh #!/bin/sh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

8. Solaris

patchadd -p ,, basic question

greetings, I am new to solaris, have a basic question. I have to check for patch 137111-04 (as prerequisite) for installing Oracle. # patchadd -p | grep 137111-04 # patchadd -p | grep 137111 Patch: 137137-09 Obsoletes: 120741-01 120986-12 120992-02 121008-02 121274-01 121414-01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mubeenmd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic sed question

Please have a look at below examples. Why do these 3 sed commands deliver the same result? Especially, why are there 4 "x" in the result instead of 3? 1. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x/g' xaxbxcx 2. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/&x/g' xaxbxcx 3. echo "abc" | sed 's/d*/x&/g' xaxbxcx Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Werner Gross
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic IF Command Question

Hi, I have a months worth of data that I need to separate into weekly files. There is a date column with dates in the following format: YYYYMMDD. I'm thinking I can create the weekly files by using a grep command combined with an IF command and specify each day of the specific week I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cwl
1 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)