Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCO UNIX to Linux migration
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SCO UNIX to Linux migration Post 66518 by Perderabo on Tuesday 15th of March 2005 08:40:17 AM
Old 03-15-2005
vickey, please read our rules and note:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly. No duplicate or cross-posting and do not report a post where your goal is to get an answer more quickly.
and
(10) Don't post your email address and ask for an email reply. The forums are for the benefit of all, so all Q&A should take place in the forums.

I will delete your duplicate post and remove your email addess from this thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How can i get start both sco unix and turbo linux?

I think and believe that i could start both the two OS from HardDisk until i installed Turbo Linux after the SCO unix . If I do anything ,Ican only start Turbo,but if i run "fdisk /mbr",the SCO unix can normally start,but the Turbo Linux could not start with unless you insert the bootdisket,which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sensir163
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. Linux

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding migration (from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0) of Files :- oraboot and orabackup

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. SuSE

Telnet to SCO UNIX from SUSE Linux Workstation

Hi i am new to Linux, i am trying to connect SCO Unix from SUSE LINUX Workstation but i am unable to define the terminal type. i have also downloaded terminal softwares but function keys (f1, f2....) and some other keys are displaying code instead of working the correct function. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aafflatoon
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

tool for migration from HP Tru64 UNIX to Linux Red Hat 5

Hi, We are going to migrate our Dataware House system from HP Tru64 UNIX to Red Hat Linux 5. There are more than 500 shell scripts which are written in ksh. The schedule is very tight. So, I want to learn whether there is a tool that can help us find the incompatible shell scripts in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksubramania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripts migration from HP-Unix 11 to Red Hat Linux

We are changing our OS from HP-Unix 11 to Linux Red Hat. We have few k- shell, c - shell and sql scripts which are currently running under HP-Unix 11. Will these scripts work on LINUX as it is? or we need to do any code changes?IS there anyone who have done this kind of migration before?Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phoenix2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX UNIX (kshell) to Linux Shell Script Migration.

Hi, Could you please let me know what kind of changes/issues commonly occurs at Scripting /command level during AIX Unix (kshell) to Linux shell script migration. (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuraman.R
24 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX to Linux Migration

We have certain number of scripts that run on AIX server using ksh. Now that we migrate these scripts to Linux servers. We need to know what are the changes that we have to perform in script to make it compatible to run on Linux. Say like in our Unix -AIX "print" command worked. But that did... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIva81
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
uname(1)							   User Commands							  uname(1)

NAME
uname - print name of current system SYNOPSIS
uname [-aimnprsvX] uname [-S system_name] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility prints information about the current system on the standard output. When options are specified, symbols representing one or more system characteristics will be written to the standard output. If no options are specified, uname prints the current operating sys- tem's name. The options print selected information returned by uname(2), sysinfo(2), or both. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Prints basic information currently available from the system. -i Prints the name of the platform. -m Prints the machine hardware name (class). Use of this option is discouraged. Use uname -p instead. See NOTES section below. -n Prints the nodename (the nodename is the name by which the system is known to a communications network). -p Prints the current host's ISA or processor type. -r Prints the operating system release level. -s Prints the name of the operating system. This is the default. -S system_name The nodename may be changed by specifying a system name argument. The system name argument is restricted to SYS_NMLN characters. SYS_NMLN is an implementation specific value defined in <sys/utsname.h>. Only the super-user is allowed this capability. This change does not persist across reboots of the system. Use sys-unconfig(1M) to change a host's name per- manently. -v Prints the operating system version. -X Prints expanded system information, one information element per line, as expected by SCO UNIX. The displayed information includes: o system name, node, release, version, machine, and number of CPUs. o BusType, Serial, and Users (set to "unknown" in Solaris) o OEM# and Origin# (set to 0 and 1, respectively) EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing the OS name and release level The following command: example% uname -sr prints the operating system name and release level, separated by one SPACE character. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of uname: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This variable is used to override the default behavior of uname. This is necessary to make it possible for some INTERACTIVE UNIX Systems and SCO UNIX programs and scripts to work properly. Many scripts use uname to determine the SYSV3 type or the version of the OS to ensure software is compatible with that OS. Setting SYSV3 to an empty string will make uname print the following default values: nodename nodename 3.2 2 i386 The individual elements that uname displays can also be modified by setting SYSV3 in the following format: os,sysname,node,rel,ver,mach os Operating system (IUS or SCO). sysname System name. node Nodename as displayed by the -n option. rel Release level as displayed by the -r option. ver Version number as displayed by the -v option. mach Machine name as displayed by -m option. Do not put spaces between the elements. If an element is omitted, the current system value will be used. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
arch(1), isalist(1), sys-unconfig(1M), sysinfo(2), uname(2), nodename(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
Independent software vendors (ISVs) and others who need to determine detailed characteristics of the platform on which their software is either being installed or executed should use the uname command. To determine the operating system name and release level, use uname -sr. To determine only the operating system release level, use uname -r. Notice that operating system release levels are not guaranteed to be in x.y format (such as 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, and so forth); future releases could be in the x.y.z format (such as 5.3.1, 5.3.2, 5.4.1, and so forth). In SunOS 4.x releases, the arch(1) command was often used to obtain information similar to that obtained by using the uname command. The arch(1) command output "sun4" was often incorrectly interpreted to signify a SunOS SPARC system. If hardware platform information is desired, use uname -sp. The arch -k and uname -m commands return equivalent values; however, the use of either of these commands by third party programs is dis- couraged, as is the use of the arch command in general. To determine the machine's Instruction Set Architecture (ISA or processor type), use uname with the -p option. SunOS 5.11 17 Sep 2003 uname(1)