Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script Post 66350 by reborg on Sunday 13th of March 2005 02:03:50 PM
Old 03-13-2005
That's not really the way things are done in Unix.

There is an old tenet in Unix programming which says, if you have nothing to say don't say anything, in other words if there is no reason for output from your program don't have any. So taking that into account you should not have any debugging output.

That said you could make sure you have the correct information by making sure the outut of the "correct" printf has a well defined format, by prefixing it with something, like this.

Code:
printf("DECRYPTED_DATA %s", decrypted_password);

he the script would for example become
Code:
clear_text_password=$(my_C_program | awk '/DECRYPTED_DATA/{print $2}' )
if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then
     #The password was returned correctly
     #Do whatever you like here
     echo "The decrypted value is: ${clear_text_password}
else
     echo "Password decryption failed"
     exit 1
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning Values (shell Script)

I have an application on Informix 4GL, and I am invoking the shell script from the program, but I need to know if the shell script work fine or not, in order to continue the process. I know that we can use $? to get the final status but this is on unix command. How can I return a value from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program for sorting strings in an alphabetical order

Hi, I trying to find the solution for writing the programming in unix by shell programming for sorting thr string in alphabetical order. I getting diffculty in that ,, so i want to find out the solution for that Please do needful Thanks Bhagyesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bp_vanarse
1 Replies

3. Programming

Returning Strings from C program to Unix shell script

Hi, I'm having a requirement where I need to call a C program from a shell script and return the value from the C program to shell script. I refered a thread in this forum. But using that command in the code, it is throwing an error clear_text_password=$(get_password) Error: bash:... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh_sasi
24 Replies

4. AIX

The shell script is not returning proper result

Can anybody pls look into this script and tell me where I went wrong. After running this script, it is showing like "Trying to overlay current working directory ABORT!!!" :-( ARGCNT=$# if then echo "Two parameters are needed for this shell " echo "Please try again with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clnsharma123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script?

Hi Folks, The subject is my question: Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script? Please provide some sample code. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:43 PM ---------- I got it. Its here:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning to shell from previous script

Found myself stuck on this seemingly trivial issue. I have this script which call other shell files to do their deeds. The shell files in turn call some other programs as well. My problem is that in two of these shell files, the control doesnt return to next command in script unless the Enter key... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoesntMatter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a unix shell script from a java program

Hi All, well , i am facing this problem.. i have tried a few sample codes but there isn't any solution . could anyone please give a sample code as of how to do this... Please see the below details...and read the details carefully. I have written some code, logic is 1)from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control from UNIX script is not returning to the Parent program

Hi All, My program flow is as below Windows batch -- > Cygwin batch --> zsh script There are multiple Cygwin batch scripts that are called from Windows batch file . But when i am executing the first cygwin batch script the control goes to the zsh file and executes and stoping from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have a UNIX script which will prepare anonymous oracle pl/sql block in a temporary file in run time and passes this file to sqlplus as given below. cat > $v_Input_File 2>>$v_Log << EOF BEGIN EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'ALTER SESSION FORCE PARALLEL DML PARALLEL 16'; EXECUTE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control not returning from Sqlplus to calling UNIX shell script.

Hello All, I have exactly same issue @vikas_trl had in following link: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/259854-control-not-returning-sqlplus-calling-unix-shell-script.html I wonder if he or somebody else could find the issue's cause or the solution. Any help would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoQ
4 Replies
LDAP_COMPARE(3) 							 1							   LDAP_COMPARE(3)

ldap_compare - Compare value of attribute found in entry specified with DN

SYNOPSIS
mixed ldap_compare (resource $link_identifier, string $dn, string $attribute, string $value) DESCRIPTION
Compare $value of $attribute with value of same attribute in an LDAP directory entry. PARAMETERS
o $link_identifier - An LDAP link identifier, returned by ldap_connect(3). o $dn - The distinguished name of an LDAP entity. o $attribute - The attribute name. o $value - The compared value. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $value matches otherwise returns FALSE. Returns -1 on error. EXAMPLES
The following example demonstrates how to check whether or not given password matches the one defined in DN specified entry. Example #1 Complete example of password check <?php $ds=ldap_connect("localhost"); // assuming the LDAP server is on this host if ($ds) { // bind if (ldap_bind($ds)) { // prepare data $dn = "cn=Matti Meikku, ou=My Unit, o=My Company, c=FI"; $value = "secretpassword"; $attr = "password"; // compare value $r=ldap_compare($ds, $dn, $attr, $value); if ($r === -1) { echo "Error: " . ldap_error($ds); } elseif ($r === true) { echo "Password correct."; } elseif ($r === false) { echo "Wrong guess! Password incorrect."; } } else { echo "Unable to bind to LDAP server."; } ldap_close($ds); } else { echo "Unable to connect to LDAP server."; } ?> NOTES
Warning ldap_compare(3) can NOT be used to compare BINARY values! PHP Documentation Group LDAP_COMPARE(3)