Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Starting Processes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Starting Processes Post 6550 by rwb1959 on Thursday 6th of September 2001 05:02:53 PM
Old 09-06-2001
I assume these programs start up on boot?
If so, depending on where your system
startup commands/scripts are, for instance
in "/etc/inittab" and/or in some "/etc/rc.d"
directory, you should be able to find the
command(s) used to start this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up

:confused: I have put together an old machine with a 386DX CPU (40MHz) with 8Mb of RAM and a 160Mb hard disk. One guy told me that its still suitable for UNIX. Can enyone give me some hints on how to start? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting X?

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5 and I want to find out how I can start and run X? When I boot I get taken to the command line. Xconfigurator doesn't want to work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting over

I am re-learning UNIX and want to download Unix to my lab for studying on the road. Any suggestions? Got several books, but need to run scripts :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DudeMan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

starting processes with timeout?

Does anyone know it it is possible to start a program with a timeout, so that it is automatically killed if the timeout expires? If yes, how? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soheil.samii
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

7. SCO

Starting processes automatically on bootup

Hello - We have setup printers to startup in the /etc/rc.d/8 directory and when the SCO system is booted this script should kick them off or start them up but it doesn't. So I have to start it from root and leave the window open. I know this isn't right and trying to figure out what's missing. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbm7230
13 Replies

8. AIX

init not starting processes from inittab

Hello, I'm having a problem starting the cron daemon automatically from inittab, let me provide the details below: We are having five equally installed machines. One of them was upgraded in the past, one we upgraded recently, both from 5300-05-06 to 5300-07-01-0748. On the upgraded... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hybr1d
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
INIT.D(7)						       The SuSE boot concept							 INIT.D(7)

NAME
INIT.D - The SuSE boot concept SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/* /etc/sysconfig DESCRIPTION
The scripts for controlling the system are placed in /etc/init.d/ (they have been moved according to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specifi- cation). These scripts are executed directly or indirectly by /sbin/init, the father of all processes. The configuration of /sbin/init is given by the file /etc/inittab (see inittab(5)). At boot time, the boot level master script /etc/init.d/boot is called to initialise the system (e.g. file system check, ...). It also exe- cutes some hardware init scripts linked into /etc/init.d/boot.d/. Then it calls /etc/init.d/boot.local, which executes the local commands. After system startup, /sbin/init will normally switch on the default run level given in /etc/inittab. It calls the run level master script /etc/init.d/rc to start or stop services provided by the other scripts under /etc/init.d/. Both scripts, then boot level master script /etc/init.d/boot and the the run level master script /etc/init.d/rc starts all other boot or runlevel scripts either sequential or partial parallel within their dependencies order. To control the services of a run level, the corresponding scripts are linked into run level directories /etc/init.d/rc<X>.d/, where <X>=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,S is the run level number. There are two kinds of symbolic link: start links, which are called when entering a run level, and stop links, which are called when leav- ing a run level. Note that each service in the run levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 consists of a start and a stop link. Within SuSE boot concept a differential link scheme is used to be able to change a runlevel in comparision with the former level. If parallel executing of the boot scripts is enabled (see /etc/sysconfig/boot variable RUN_PARALLEL) then both master scripts uses the pro- gram startpar(8) which starts or stops multiple services in parallel. Startpar(8) will look for the files /etc/init.d/.depend.boot, /etc/init.d/.depend.start, and /etc/init.d/.depend.stop to get the dependencies for each service. The files will be written, beside the symbolic links in the boot and runlevel directories, by the program insserv(8). To avoid redundant starts when changing run levels, only those services are started which have no start link in the previous run level. And to avoid redundant stops when changing run levels, only those services are stopped which have no start link in the current level. To control this behaviour, the names of the scripts are added on the names of the start and stop links. To control the order of service starts and stops, the start and stop links include a number in their link name. The system configuration files in /etc/sysconfig contain most of the variables used to configure the installed services. These variables can easily be changed by YaST or by using an editor. After using an editor, the script /sbin/SuSEconfig must be called to distribute the settings into the system. Some details The script /etc/init.d/lpd starts or stops the line printer daemon for the printing service, according to the flag used: /etc/init.d/lpd start and /etc/init.d/lpd stop To do this automatically in run level 3, this script is linked into /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ with these two symbolic links /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S20lpd -> ../lpd and /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K20lpd -> ../lpd The corresponding link with the letter S is used to start a service. For the printing service the number between the letter S and the name should be greater than the number of the start link of the network service. The corresponding link with the letter K is used to stop a service. The number of the stop link for the printing service should be less than that of the stop link for the network service so that the printer daemon is stopped before shutting down the network service. Run levels and their services 0 This level is used for halting the system. The only valid service for this level is the script halt, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rc0.d/. The script halt executes /etc/init.d/halt.local. Special system issues for halt or reboot should be added there. 6 This level is used for rebooting the system. The only valid service for this level is the script reboot, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rc6.d/. The script reboot executes /etc/init.d/halt.local. Specials system issues for halt or reboot should be added there. S This mode is used to switch from boot phase into single user mode. The last valid service for this mode is the script single, which is linked into /etc/init.d/rcS.d/. In this mode you have only one console. 1 According to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specification this runlevel is used to switch from normal runlevel into single user mode. This is different from former SuSE Linux versions! 2 The run level 2 is without remote networking. Note that on some other systems this is identical with the single user mode. This run level can have more than one virtual console. 3 The run level 3 is with network. This run level is for server stations not automatically running X. 5 The level 5 is with network and xdm(1). You should have a configured and perfectly running X Window System for this work station run level. 4 The run level 4 is not (yet) used. /etc/init.d/skeleton This script is a model for writing your own. You can use insserv(8) to include your own script into a run level. FILES
/etc/init.d/* /etc/init.d/boot /etc/init.d/boot.local /etc/init.d/halt /etc/init.d/halt.local /etc/init.d/rc /etc/init.d/reboot /etc/init.d/skeleton /etc/init.d/single /etc/init.d/boot.d/S[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc0.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc1.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc2.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc3.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc4.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc5.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rc6.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/rcS.d/{K,S}[0-9][0-9]* /etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop /etc/inittab /etc/sysconfig/boot /etc/sysconfig SEE ALSO
insserv(8), startpar(8), init(8), inittab(5), and the SuSE Linux handbook, chapter The SuSE boot concept. COPYRIGHT
1996-2005 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHORS
Florian La Roche <http://www.suse.de/feedback>, Werner Fink <werner@suse.de>, Burchard Steinbild <http://www.suse.de/feedback>. 4.4 Berkeley Distribution Nov 15, 2000 INIT.D(7)