Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Collecting data from TOP to a file Post 6507 by LivinFree on Thursday 6th of September 2001 12:11:14 AM
Old 09-06-2001

I checked the man page here at work for top(1). Try using the -f flag. For example, top -f proc.log will save the first 16 processes to the file proc.log. top -n 37 -f proc-long.log will save the first 37 processes to a file called proc-long.log. For more information, please check out man 1 top on your system.

[Note: The flags and arguments are not always portable between systems. Please check the top manpage on your flavor before using]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help: Collecting similar messages in a file

Hi All, Since i am very new to shell scripting, i need help from you guys. Suppose there is a file containing: Log message: Ashish "asasasa" asasa asasa asasas.info1 Log message: Kapil "asasasa" asasa asasa asasas..info1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish.kapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help collecting addational data

I am attempting to gather data from 700 + routers. I have written a script that gets me about 70% of the information I need but I am in need of some assistance getting the remainder. I am fairly new to unix and I have not done programming since my 2nd year of high school in 1992. I have a list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garlandxj
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

no data redirected to a file with top and grep - why?

HI all, I want to capture cpu data in batch mode of "top" command and redirect to a file like this: top -b > cpu.dat it works! But I want to capture only Cpu lines, so i have: top -b | grep ^Cpu >cpu.dat Then I got an empty output file. Why? Could somebody explain and help me to make it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting specific portion from a file

I have a file which contains data like a b x col1:data1 formula:data3 this is for 2 a c col1:@bkw formula:dontad ad asd as per a \ i want the data from col1 and formula to keep the col1 data in left side of excel and col2 data in right side of it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmrout007
1 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting details

Hi all, I am having lots of oracle servers. I want to collect some health check details from all the server and report to one single centralized server. What would be best solution for this? OS: AIX Thanks Gopal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilugopal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the first (top) data lines of each category

Hi All, I need some help in parsing out the first (top) data lines of each category (categories are based on the first column a, b, c, d, e.( see example file below) from a big file a dfg 3 6 8 9 a fgh 5 7 0 9 a gkl 5 2 4 7 a glo 7 0 1 5 b ghj 9 0 4 2 b mkl 7 8 0 5 b jkl 9 0 4 5 c jkl 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting header from another file

I want to add header description from a file by matching the 2nd col of another file. . The lookup file is at ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/COG/KOG/kog The table file looks like comp1001565_c0_seq1 At1g14590 48.48 66 34 0 200 3 171 236 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : collecting all data between two time frame

Hi Experts , I need your help to collect the complete data between two time frame from the log files, when I try awk it's collecting the data only which is printed with time stamp for example, awk works well from "16:00 to 17:30" but its not collecting <line*> "from 17:30 to 18:00" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
8 Replies
XtAppAddWorkProc()														XtAppAddWorkProc()

XtAppAddWorkProc - register a procedure to be called when the event loop is idle.

Synopsis
  XtWorkProcId XtAppAddWorkProc(app_context, proc, client_data)
	 XtAppContext app_context;
	 XtWorkProc proc;
	 XtPointer client_data;

Inputs
  app_context
	    Specifies the application context.

proc	    Specifies the procedure that is to be called when the application is idle.

client_data
	    Specifies data to be passed to proc when it is called.

Returns
  A handle of type XtWorkProcId that can be passed to XtRemoveWorkProc() to unregister the work procedure.

Description
  XtAddWorkProc()  registers  the  procedure proc and the data client_data to be called by XtAppNextEvent() or XtAppProcessEvent() when there
  are no pending input events and it would otherwise block.  Multiple work procedures can be registered, and the most recently added  one  is
  always  the  one  that  is called.  However, if a work procedure itself adds another work procedure, the newly added one has lower priority
  than the current one.

A work procedure returns a Boolean.  If it returns True, it will automatically be unregistered and will not be called again.	If it returns
  False it will be called the next time the application is idle.  See XtWorkProc(2) for more information.

Usage
  XtAppAddWorkProc() implements a limited form of background processing.  Most applications spend most of their time waiting for input; to do
  useful work during this idle time, you can register a work procedure that will run when the application is idle.

A work procedure must return quickly or the application will not be able to promptly respond to user events.	If a large task needs  to  be
  done	in  the background, the work procedure should periodically save its state and return False.  Work procedures should not be used to do
  frivolous work in the background.  In a multi-tasking system, an idle application should generally actually be idle, and not steal CPU time
  from other processes.

A work procedure can be explicitly removed by calling XtRemoveWorkProc() with the XtWorkProcId returned by this function.

Structures
  The XtWorkProcId type is defined as follows:

typedef unsigned long XtWorkProcId;

See Also
  XtAppNextEvent(1), XtAppProcessEvent(1), XtRemoveWorkProc(1),
  XtWorkProc(2).

Xt - Event Handling														XtAppAddWorkProc()