Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing .TIFF files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing .TIFF files Post 6477 by Neo on Wednesday 5th of September 2001 01:29:57 PM
Old 09-05-2001
One way is to convert the file to other formats.

Here are suggestions for how to do this:

http://www.intelligraphics.com/artic...g_article.html

Also look at this example :

Quote:
You need to create an entry in the /etc/printcap file, something like this:

hplj5n|lp1:\
:rm=hostname:\
:rp=printername:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj5n:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lpd.log:\
:if=/var/spool/lpd/filter:

The first line is the printer name you can use either hplj5n or lp1 with 'lpr -Pname'.

The rest of the lines are as follows:

rm - remote machine, this is typically the same as the printer name with network printers other wise it's the machine name of the system the printer is connected to.

rp - remote printer, this is typically the same as the machine name
with network printers other wise it would the print name such as
'hplj5n' if the printer is attached to a remote system.

sd - the spool directory where print jobs are spooled

lf - the log file

if - the interface filter, used to convert formatted/unformatted
text (ASCII, TEX DIV, POSTSCRIPT, PCL, etc.) and image data (BMP, PPM, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, etc.) to POSTSCRIPT or PCL format.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatized .ps into .tiff conversion

Hi everybody, I have more tan 300 images postscripts (.ps) in my UNIX enviroment. I would like to have all these images in a single Power Point presentation (windows enviroment). Anybody has a clue how to convert all those .ps file into a format recognized by Power Point in an automatic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cordobapab
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View TIFF images from UNIX

I am new to unix. I want to know if there is any tool or plugin available for AIX unix system through which a user can see the TIFF images. Below are the details: Our application runs on AIX Unix box. The users log in to the application through telnet clients running on Windows 2000/XP systems.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erpankajgupta
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert Unix executable file to Tiff

Hi, I know nothing about Unix. Recently received image files from a client. Mac sees it as a Unix executable file. How do I convert these files to Tiff? Thanks for helping. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pet Teoh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify a corrupted TIFF image

Hi everyone! Here's my first thread... I have to recognize if a TIFF image is corrupted or not. I've always usedfile -b to identify file type, but I've experienced that sometimes it returns "TIFF image data, little endian" even if the image is truncated or something. Do you know another trick... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
6 Replies
PSF(8)								   Netatalk 2.2 							    PSF(8)

NAME
psf - PostScript filter SYNOPSIS
psf [-n name] [-h host] [-w width] [-l length] [-i indent] [-c] DESCRIPTION
psf is an lpd filter for PostScript printing. psf interprets the name it was called with to determine what filters to invoke. First, if the string ``pap'' appears anywhere in the name, psf invokes pap to talk to a printer via AppleTalk. Next, if the string ``rev'' appears, psf invokes psorder to reverse the pages of the job. Finally, if psf was called with a filter's name as the leading string, it invokes that filter. If there is no filter to run, psf examines the magic number of the input, and if the input is not PostScript, converts it to PostScript. KLUDGE
In the default configuration, psf supports two kludges. The first causes psf to check its name for the letter `m'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap twice, once to get an initial page count and to print the job, and another time to get a final page count. This is a work-around for bugs in a variety of PAP implementions that cause printers to never properly close the PAP output file. A notable example is any printer by Hewlett-Packard. The second kludge causes psf to examine its name for the letter `w'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap with the -w flag. This flag causes pap to wait until the printer's status contains the string `idle'. Once this string is found, the job is printed as normal. This kludge is a work-around for printers, notably Hewlett-Packard's LaserJet IV, which will report a page count while a previous jobs is still printing. EXAMPLE
The sample printcap entry below invokes psf to print text files, PostScript files, troff's C/A/T output, and TeX's DVI output, to an AppleTalk connected LaserWriter Plus. Since the LaserWriter Plus stacks pages in descending order, we reverse the pages and print the burst page last. laser|lp|LaserWriter Plus on AppleTalk: :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser: :lp=/var/spool/lpd/laser/null: :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl: :of=/usr/lib/netatalk/ofpap: :if=/usr/lib/netatalk/ifpaprev: :tf=/usr/lib/netatalk/tfpaprev: :df=/usr/lib/netatalk/dfpaprev: Note that if the host in question spools to more than one AppleTalk printer, /dev/null should not be used for the lp capability. Instead, a null device should be created with mknod for each printer, as has been done above. Finally, there is a file in the spool directory, /var/spool/lpd/laser, called .paprc, which pap reads for the AppleTalk name of the printer. SEE ALSO
psorder(1), printcap(5), lpd(1), mknod(1), pap(1). Netatalk 2.2 17 Dec 1991 PSF(8)