Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize.. Post 64737 by Perderabo on Wednesday 2nd of March 2005 08:27:41 AM
Old 03-02-2005
No history is maintained like that. There is no way to find out what the size was before the last write. Besides, suppose you did:
cat littlefile >> bigfile
The kernel might do 1 write to bigfile. Or it might do 100 writes to bigfile. So the size before the last write would not be useful anyway.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mtime vs ctime

:D i have a slight problem and would appreciate if someone could clarify the confusion.. i use find alot and so far i have done ok.. but it just struck me a couple of days ago that I am not quite sure what the difference between the modification time and the change time as in ctime and mtime and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(find) mtime vs. (unix) mtime

Hi I've made some test with perl script to learn more about mtime... So, my question is : Why the mtime from findfind /usr/local/sbin -ctime -1 -mtime -1 \( -name "*.log" -o -name "*.gz" \) -print are not the same as mtime from unix/linux in ls -ltr or in stat() function in perl : stat -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-atime not working as expected

I need to sort through a volume that contains video files by access time and delete files that have not been accessed over x days. I have to use the access time as video files are originals that do not get modified, just read Testing commands on a local test folder... $ date Wed Sep 28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: canon273
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why updating atime doesn't update ctime?

Hi, ctime is the inode change time. If reading a file, its atime will be updated, which should cause inode member i_atime changed, which is an inode change. So ctime should also be updated. But if I try to ls a directory on redhat, only the directory atime gets updated, not ctime. Why? THANKS! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls -l displays ctime or mtime?

commands ls -l or just l displays ctime (changed time) or mtime (modified time)? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Zfs - what does atime update?

It is widely documented that on zfs atime updates the access time on zfs. Where is the access time updated on Solaris 11.2? If I create file atimetest.txt under rpool/export/home: # zfs list rpool/export/home NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT rpool/export/home 13.3G ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
5 Replies
speedometer(1)							   User Commands						    speedometer(1)

NAME
speedometer - measure and display the rate of data across a network connection SYNOPSIS
speedometer [options] tap [[-c] tap] ... DESCRIPTION
Monitor network traffic or speed/progress of a file transfer. At least one tap option (-f, -rx, -tx) must be entered. Option -c starts a new column, otherwise taps are piled vertically. Note: before you use the program, satrt generating traffic by transferring files in/out e.g. with scp(1) in the network you're measuring. OPTIONS
-b Use old blocky display instead of smoothed display even when UTF-8 encoding is detected. -f filename [size] Display download speed with progress bar. This option must be used if directly following another file tap without an expected size specified. -i interval Interval in seconds. Examples: 5 or 0.25". Default is 1. -p Use plain-text display (one tap only). -rx iface Display bytes received on network interface. -tx iface Display bytes transmitted on network interface. -z Report zero size on files that don't exist instead of waiting for them to be created EXAMPLES How long it will take for my 38MB transfer to finish? speedometer favorite_episode.rm $(( 38 * 1024 * 1024 )) How quickly is another transfer going? speedometer dl/big.avi How fast is this LAN? host-a$ cat /dev/zero | nc -l -p 12345 host-b$ nc host-a 12345 > /dev/null host-b$ speedometer -rx eth0 How fast is the upstream on this ADSL line? speedometer -tx ppp0 How fast can I write data to my filesystem? (with at least 1GB free) dd bs=1000000 count=1000 if=/dev/zero of=bigfile & speedometer bigfile ENVIRONMENT
None. FILES
None. SEE ALSO
htop(1) iotop(1) scp(1) top(1) vmstat(1) AUTHORS
Program was written by Ian Ward <ian.ward@excess.org> This manual page was written by Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net>. Released under license GNU GPL version 2 or (at your option) any later version. For more information about license, visit <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>. speedometer 2011-12-10 speedometer(1)