Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers between hp-ux and sun solaris Post 6412 by inquirer on Tuesday 4th of September 2001 05:51:05 PM
Old 09-04-2001
Question between hp-ux and sun solaris

it's been a while since my last post here, it's because i have been busy taking care of my papers for my lateral transfer. and know what? it has just been approved (hurray!) and now i'm part of the administration department. many thanks to this site and all of those who responded to my previous queries Smilie

and now for my question, is there any difference of syntax between HP-UX and Sun Solaris? both are based on UNIX but are there any difference at all? please provide me with a list or at least a site where i can review there differences. and also a guide for basic administration so i can read them and apply them to my work? thanks guys!
inquirer

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Solaris Sun Java Desktop

Ok I a n00b, not gunna hide it so here goes - Sun Solaris, V.10 i386 - during the setup, I can choose a screen resolution that looks great with 65k colors and all. However, when all is said and done 4 disks and a reboot later, I get hanious 640x480 @ 256 only. If I choose the Sun Java Desktop... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spooky
20 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Sun Solaris and Open Solaris?

What is the major difference between Sun Solaris 10 and Open Solaris? I believe both are free now, is that true? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yipster
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 upgrade on Sun Fire 3800

Hello there! I have Sun Fire 3800 with very old Solaris 9 and I need to perform upgrade to concurrent Solaris 10 version, preserving current OS configuration. I supose to make it using Live Upgrade, but according to Solaris Live Upgrade Software: Minimum Patch Requirements page, I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

6. Solaris

useful links and help resources for Sun's products and Sun's Solaris

Hi all, Those links might help anyone Knowledge base Video tutorials (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Solaris not able to ping Sun Solaris

I have a Sun Blade 2500 with SUN 5.9 OS installed. I can ping other machines(windowsXP/2003) from my SUN machines but not able to ping each other SUN machines which i have newly installed. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Patching Procedure in Solaris 10 with sun cluster having Solaris zone

Hi Gurus I am not able to find the patching procedure for solaris 10 ( sol10 u11) to latest patchset with sun cluster having failover zones so that same I should follow. Take an instance, there are sol1 and sol2 nodes and having two failover zones like sozone1-rg and sozone2-rg and currently... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nick101
1 Replies
RMGDIFF(1x)															       RMGDIFF(1x)

NAME
rmgdiff - use almost any graphical file difference browser to recursively view the differences between two directories. SYNOPSIS
rmgdiff [-b] [-d] [-g gui] [-n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
rmgdiff is an awk script that works in conjunction with almost any graphical file difference browser. It is known to work with mgdiff, tkdiff, and xdiff. Unless I am mistaken, most of the GUI difference viewers (except for emacs) do not have built-in support for recursing down two directo- ries, but diff does. Based on diff's output, rmgdiff decides when to invoke the graphical difference viewer. In addition, rmgdiff also collates diff's output. As soon as a new difference is encountered in a text file, rmgdiff will print to stan- dard output the name of the file that both directories have in common. It will then start the GUI and block until the user exits. As more text files with differences are found, the GUI will be started up again. In the interim, rmgdiff will keep track of differences in binary (non-text) files. It organizes the binary files as executables, shared libraries, static libraries, object files, and other. Only after all the text files have been displayed will rmgdiff report the binary differences. It also keeps track of files and directories that diff reports as being only in one directory or another. rmgdiff organizes these entries by directory. Thus, files in one directory will be reported in one block, and files that are in the other directory will be reported in a different block. In addition to printing the name of the files that are different, rmgdiff defaults to printing the relevant portion of the output from the file command. This has the unfortunate side-effect of slowing things down; however, I find this information to be invaluable. If you're just looking for a fast way to collate diff's output, try piping it into sort instead. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
-b Sets the basic reporting mode. In basic mode, rmgdiff reports only file names. It does not report the file types involved. -c By default, files relating to CVS are ignored by rmgdiff. If you want to include CVS files, use this option. -d Sets rmgdiff to print way too much debugging information. -g gui Tells rmgdiff which gui you would like to use for viewing differences. By default, mgdiff is used. You can also set $RMGDIFF_GUI in your environment, but it can be overridden with this option. -n rmgdiff will not invoke the gui. This is useful, if you only want to view the collated output. AUTHOR
Paul Serice (paul@serice.net) RMGDIFF(1x)