Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Long threads?
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Long threads? Post 64081 by Perderabo on Saturday 26th of February 2005 05:12:53 PM
Old 02-26-2005
I would have been happier if CamTu had started a new thread as he moved on to a new topic. Worse, the switch to the ftp question was really a crosspost of this thread and as such was a violation of rule 4. I decided to let it slide. Maybe I shouldn't have. It gets tedious playing policeman.

But in general piggy-backing questions is not against the rules and to the original poster it all may be part of the same project. I'm not sure that such a rule would be a great idea. Neo would need to rule on that.

In the meantime, don't feel that you need to stay trapped in a thread. It took me a while to realize that sometimes I need to bail out of a thread. I don't post a final goodbye or anything. I just move on.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

old threads

Neo, if I have an old thread that is a few months old, and a few pages back in the forum it was posted in, is it ok to 'bump' it back to the front? or, would you rather i deleted the old thread, and just create a new one? btw the thread has no replies. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threads

i am tring to sort lots of data thats in many columns by just one column but, if I use sort +16 inputfile the column fluctuates because some of the rows have spaces etc within the text, so the end result is just a mess as it jumps around the columns depending whether it has spaces or not ....ie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

3. Solaris

threads

Hi all! 1)Is there a way to write a program that will work on both solaris and intel based machines. 2)How can I achive this for a program that creates and synchronizes three threads. Thank you. vij. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many threads do I use ?

Hi, I have a program that has two types of threads: 1) Reader threads 2) Worker Threads Readers: Their only job is to read files. They just read data from the files and put them into a buffer. They are obviously I/O intensive. Workers: These are CPU intensive. They do some computation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

6. Programming

Threads help

Hello! I started studying studying about POSIX Threads a few days ago... so I am a little confused and I would appreciate some help! I isolated this code... and I wonder if I could use threads in it! #include <unistd.h> #endif #include <math.h> //#include "main.h" #include <sys/time.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smurf2
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to see a FIFO from all the threads?

Hello C programming fellows!!! I'm doing a program with multiple threads in gnu/linux, ubuntu for beeing precise... This program consist in multiple threads, as logical each thread do different things and communicate to each other using IPC. The problem is that in "process 1" I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Threads disappeared

Dear admins, it seems that some threads or even users have recently (~ 2 days or so) disappeared. Examples: giuliangiuseppe and greycells. The latter asked me for the solution I provided earlier this week. What happened? Can you help? Regards Rüdiger (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
10 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Please close the following threads:)

Hello Admin, The issue that i posted in the following threads has been resolved, https://www.unix.com/ubuntu/266128-how-access-website-without-port-ubuntu-14-04-a.html https://www.unix.com/red-hat/265635-error-while-extending-logicalvolume.html Kindly close the threads.Thanks:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gull05
1 Replies
PTHREAD_DETACH(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)

NAME
pthread_detach -- detach a thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_detach() function is used to indicate to the implementation that storage for the thread thread can be reclaimed when the thread terminates. If thread has not terminated, pthread_detach() will not cause it to terminate. The effect of multiple pthread_detach() calls on the same target thread is unspecified. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_detach() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. Note that the function does not change the value of errno as it did for some drafts of the standard. These early drafts also passed a pointer to pthread_t as the argument. Beware! ERRORS
The pthread_detach() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. SEE ALSO
pthread_join(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_detach() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
April 4, 1996 BSD