Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers seperate hard drive for unix & x windows Post 6353 by jeffersno1 on Tuesday 4th of September 2001 10:49:18 AM
Old 09-04-2001
HARD DRIVE JUST FOR UNIX

Im studying at Shellield Hallam University. I start Unix and X windows in October. I want to know whether to partition my 30 GIG hard Drive and have unix operating system working on 10 GIG of that or to have it on a completley different hard drive but on the same tower.

In regards to putting it on a hard drive, How do i install it onto the 10 GIG part of my hard drive, and are there any tutorials on how it's done.

Im not too hot on programming, ive only programmed in C++ and will be programming in unix when i start at Uni.

Thanks for your patience.Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wiping UNIX Hard Drive

Hello all, Maybe someone can help? Please?!?!? How do I wipe a UNIX hard drive, For dos I use Norton. Is there something like that for UNIX. I am just barley understanding UNIX, so please forgive my ignorance. Also, is there a government approved method of sanitization? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky123
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Formatting hard drive from Unix to Windows

Can a hard drive be formatted from unix server to windows 2000 professional? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: howarddtp
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

format unix hard drive on windows xp

Hello, How is it possible to copy the partition of hard drive that have unix on it (it's a scsi hard drive of an Irix (SGI)), under windows xp - what I did till now is to connect the drive to the my pc (windows xp installed) with a scsi adapter and the program partition magic can't recognize the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moyalt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from hard drive to unix server

i want to ftp a flat file from my local harddrive to the unix server box. Can anybody send me the command. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Connecting Hard drive to Windows

Ok i have a bad slice on my solaris 10 hard drive. And that so happens to be where the data is that i need. there are 10 corrupt block that are not allowing it to mount. I tried everything fro ufsdump to fsck -Y -o f and nothing works. so i took the drive out and plugged it into a external USB ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Pen Drive & Hard Disk

Hi Guys, I have an external USB Hard Disk Drive on which I have 3 partitions and it works fine under Windows XP but when I am using Red Hat Linux 5 I don't see any icon for this USB HDD. Also I am not able to browse my USB Pen Drive. However, I can use it under Mandrake Linux without any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy everything from remote Linux to external hard drive in windows

Hi, I`m trying to copy an entire directory(with numerous files, folders and subfolders etc, a content size of 500gigs) from a linux machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to an external hard drive on my windows. I downloaded and installed psftp on my windows and I can login using psftp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this. I need help to move .csv/.xls file from unix path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive? Regards, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies
hdio(7I)							  Ioctl Requests							  hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)