Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dumb question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dumb question Post 632 by Neo on Wednesday 20th of December 2000 06:41:30 PM
Old 12-20-2000
When you execute the java code in the script you can get the process ID of the executing java process. You then set up a while (or similar) conditional statement to look at the process table and see when the process terminates.

There are other ways to do this. The one above is the first idea off the top of my head (using shell scripts). It would be much easier to do this using PERL or PHP or PYTHON, BTW.

You can also look at the exec command and variants and the shell command itself. There are many, many ways to do what you are wanting to do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script dumb question

Hi, i'm dealing with a script and I have one question. If I have these: #!/bin/bash wget http://somesite/file.tar tar xvf file.tar exit I need the line that contains the command tar to wait until file.tar is completly downloaded, but it doesn't and continues with the next line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

4. AIX

got a dumb question where do i get AIX 5.3 from

Guys, ive been looking about , but obviously not hard enough, Where do i get AIX 5.3 from ? DO i need to purchase it or is it free to download on a single user license ?:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmccull
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question but...

When getting a listing of files using "ls -l", my output shows the permissions, #oflinks???, owner, group, size, month-day-time, and file. In the example below, how would I know what year the file was last modified? -rw-rw-r--, 28, root, root, 2048, Oct 28 15:10, somefile.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb find question

All, For some reason I can't figure out why I can't wildcard my find statement to check for anything with a wildcard after. I can before the -name but not after. ie. find . -name *test works but find . -name test* gives me the error: find: paths must precede expression Usage: find ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with dumb for-loop question

can anyone please suggest what is wrong with this command: for i in ; do cat ~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15.tcl>>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; ./setdest -n 15 -p 0 -M 5 -t 100 -x 500 -y 500 >>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithkhandakar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb MV command question

Hi, Im trying to do move a file like this as mart of my script on Solaris mv /path/to/file/file.txt .. mv: cannot rename /path/to/file/file.txt to ../file.txt: Permission denied. Im just trying to move it up one level using the following command on a bunch of directories: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
4 Replies
JSYMPHONIC(1)						      General Commands Manual						     JSYMPHONIC(1)

NAME
jsymphonic - File manager for Sony's MP3 players SYNOPSIS
jsymphonic DESCRIPTION
jsymphonic manages files stored on a Sony MP3 player plugged onto the computer. Important note: The MP3 player should be mounted first ! You might want to use pmount(1) to mount it without needing root privileges. The first time it is run, jsymphonic will ask you in which directory the MP3 player is mounted. This directory should not change, or you will need to configure it again. If jsymphonic complains that it cannot find the OMGAUDIO folder, it means that either the music player is not mounted, either the path of the player has not been set yet. If that is the case, set it using the JSymphonic/Properties menu item. JAVA-WRAPPERS NOTE This program is a shell script wrapper based on java-wrappers(7). You therefore benefit from several features; please see the java-wrap- pers(7) manual page for more information about them. SEE ALSO
pmount(1) and java-wrappers(7) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> from the Debian project, but may be used by others. 26-01-2009 JSYMPHONIC(1)