Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar: write error unexpected end of file Post 626 by robyn on Wednesday 20th of December 2000 12:15:00 PM
Old 12-20-2000
Thanks for responding Smilie. The files that I am trying to backup are not very big. The VXA tape drive that I am using seems okay for the moment. Your theory about the cleaning tape not being in good shape seems likely. New cleaning tapes arrived the other day so I will take one of these (at your suggestion) and see if this makes a difference. If it doesn't, do you think that a corrupt file in the directory in which I am trying to backup may be the cause?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

End of file unexpected error

Hi, I am new to unix. I have written a script whenever i am giving sh filename.sh its prompting unexpected end of file in line number 40 in that line i have echo statement what do i need to do thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamsa
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar: write error: unexpected EOF

Hi friends, I am using Sun Solaris 5.9. I want to take backup of 3 folders which are 50 GB in size totally using tar command on tapes. I am having DAT 72 tape. After initiating tar command (tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0n /tmp/dir1/ /tmp/dir2/ /tmp/dir3/), tarring is stopped after 10 hrs (approx) and i am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayakumar.pc
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am taring to disk and get this message: tar: write error: unexpected EOF This message is normally associated with tape devices, not disk. Here is the syntax: tar -cf <tarfilename> /dir Have you seen this message on disk tars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected end of file error

hi, i am trying to connect to sqlplus in an 'if block' from the script. it is giving unexpected end of file error. and it works fine if it is out of 'if block'. if anybody have idea on this, can you please help me to solve the error ? piece of code is given below. if then... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected end of file error

When I run the following script: #! /bin/bash for var in CA CC CD CT EC PC do cat << EOF > ${var}_full.dat echo T ${var}_high echo C age echo C sex echo C ht echo C WT_lg EOF cat << EOF > ${var}_agesex.dat ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

error unexpected end of file

Sometimes while unziping some files i got an error and the further unziping stopped.might be other files are able to be unzip.i.e gunzip a.Z b.Z c.Z gunzip: a.Z: unexpected end of file it found an error on a.Z and stopped but b.Z and C.Z might be correct. why this error comes and is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

`end of file' unexpected error

When I am executing my really simple shell script below, I got an error: `end of file' unexpected. Script is suppose to print out a list of supplied parameters. Here is my script: #!/bin/sh a=$# #number or parameters b=0 #starting counter while do b=`expr $b + 1` echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexstar
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected end of file error

Hi , I am new to Unix and this is my first shell script . I am facing "unexpected end of file error" while executing my code . tried removing blank spaces Unable to trace out the error . PLease help !!! #!/bin/sh echo hello if ] echo hi then var=`cat liq_table_nm.txt` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sen180185
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: write error: unexpected EOF I usually encounter this when I'm doing backup to Dat72 tape. Here's the command gzip all files in a directory then tar cvfp /dev/rmt/0n files. Not all files are copied. Any things I should look at? Directory size? ---------- Post updated at 05:20 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected End Of File Error

Hi guys, I am new to BASH scripting and I was wondering if anyone could have a look at this code and explain to me why I am getting an Unexpected End of File Error ? If you can that would be great / much appreciated! THANKS! #!/bin/bash USER="" PASS="" if ; then echo "You need to set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spooke
1 Replies
TCOPY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TCOPY(1)

NAME
tcopy -- copy and/or verify mag tapes SYNOPSIS
tcopy [-cvx] [-s maxblk] [src [dest]] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility is designed to copy magnetic tapes. The only assumption made about the tape layout is that there are two sequential EOF marks at the end. By default, the tcopy utility will print information about the sizes of records and files found on the /dev/sa0 tape, or on the tape specified by the src argument. If a destination tape is also specified by the dest argument, a copy of the source tape will be made. The blocking on the destination tape will be identical to that used on the source tape. Copying a tape will yield the same program output as if just printing the sizes. The following options are available: -c Copy src to dest and then verify that the two tapes are identical. -s maxblk Specify a maximum block size, maxblk. -v Given the two tapes src and dest, verify that they are identical. -x Output all informational messages to the standard error instead of the standard output. This option is useful when dest is given as /dev/stdout. SEE ALSO
mt(1), mtio(4) HISTORY
The tcopy command appeared in 4.3BSD. BUGS
Writing an image of a tape to a file does not preserve much more than the raw data. Block size(s) and tape EOF marks are lost which would otherwise be preserved in a tape-to-tape copy. End of data (EOD) is determined by two sequential EOF marks with no data between them. There used to be old systems which typically wrote three EOF's between tape files. The tcopy utility will erroneously stop copying early in this case. When using the copy/verify option -c, tcopy does not rewind the tapes prior to start. A rewind is performed after writing, prior to the ver- ification stage. If one does not start at the beginning-of-tape (BOT) then the comparison may not be of the intended data. BSD
December 20, 2006 BSD