Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting Text File into XML using Unix Shell Scripts Post 62474 by Laud12345 on Wednesday 16th of February 2005 11:03:10 AM
Old 02-16-2005
Thanks guys very much. I was able to use the substr function in order to read in the fixed columns. I am also considering doing the gawks' fieldwidth thing, but would that affect the performance? I am to be working on around 800,000 records so it also needs to be pretty efficient.

Also, is there is a quick function in awk that lets you strip away leading and trailing whitespace from a string? I was thinking of using the 'split' function to store the string into an array and then printing out the array, but that seems to be overkill. Any help would be appreciated.

Please let me know
Laud

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help To convert xml file to text file using bourn shell scripts

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> <country_code>AK></country_code>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Converting UNIX scripts to DOS

Is there a tool available to convert UNIX (BASH Shell) scripts to DOS scripts? I understand that DOS scripting is far inferior to unix scripting, and therfore this conversion may not be possible. Alternativley, perhaps I could convert my Unix scripts to C... then compile it for a windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crozz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program to check if the same text appears twice in an XML file

Hi All, I am very new to this forum and beginner to shell scripting. I need a shell script to: Search for a text in XML file à if the same text appears twice in an XML file à output file name Script should loop thru every xml file of a given folder. Please help me writing this script. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amardeep001
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting scripts from dos 2 unix format

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and exploring it , I have developed few sample shell script but I have developed them on windows xp notepad and then saving them on folder and then testing them on cywgin and running perfectly...but these scripts are in dos format and I want to convert them in unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to Text file Parsing Using shell scripting

Hi folks, Need some help with XML to text file parsing , the following is the content of the XML File. <xn:SubNetwork id="SNJNPRZDCR0R03"> <xn:MeContext id="PRSJU0005"> <xn:VsDataContainer id="PRSJU0005"> <xn:attributes> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting XML to Flat file

Hi Friends, I want to convert a XML file to flat file. Sample I/p: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?> <DataFile xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' contactCount='4999' date='2012-04-14' time='22:00:14' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='gen .xsd'> <Contact... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

7. Solaris

XML to Text file Parsing Using shell scripting

Hi, I want to parse an XML File using Shell Script preferably by using awk command, I/P file is : <gn:ExternalGsmCell id="016P3A"> <gn:attributes> <gn:mnc>410</gn:mnc> <gn:mcc>310</gn:mcc> <gn:lac>8016</gn:lac> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

9. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)