Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dummy Needs Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dummy Needs Help Post 6246 by PxT on Friday 31st of August 2001 10:50:55 PM
Old 08-31-2001
The 'prompt' command will toggle the prompting on/off.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real Dummy here!!

After reading so many posts in this section, I'm convinced there are no other dummies here but me. You guys are light years ahead. I have a great understanding of the Windows environment, but lost right now in some things pertaining to Unix. See, I'm a recent convert and put my website up on a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using dummy files

what do you record or look for when using these dummy files to test I/O throughput on disk drives. i have no clue and reading from books sure aint helping much. i know all about the creation and every other thing there is to it but when it comes to actual testing, how do i use them this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Dummy

i need to learn unix real quick and i have completely no idea how. could anyone please tell me how to get material to get me going??? I am IT oriented. PLEASE ANY ONE???????????????? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quarmenna
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dummy need help :(

This drive me nut, any can show me how to do it ?? str1='Case Modify 10001 20002 30003 40004|Report Create 3417176211|Case Modify 10002 20002 30003 40004' and str2='Case Modify 10001' if str1 ~ str2 then str1='Report Create 3417176211|Case Modify 10002 20002 30003 40004' Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummy Questions

NOT IN USE, IGNORE (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: slayer666
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question from a dummy

okay so I just started this unix class and understood all the test questions but this "normal" question threy me through a loop :confused:. The question is Why are UNIX commands noninteractive and why is their output not usually preceededby header information? This question has been driving me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinnamonbear
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using grep for a dummy

Hi there; I am really new in unix. I need some help regarding use of grep command. I need to write a shell script which takes a C++ program and counts the number of words which could be a valid C++ variable name. I wrote a regular expression to find c++ variable names: ^* but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkosucu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a dummy question...needs help...

I am trying to use 'cut' to get a line from my file. But it seems that 'cut' recongnizes TAB as default. My file uses space instead. So 'cut' doesn't work. Anybody can tell me how to change the default from TAB to space ? Or how to transform a space-delimited file into tab-delimited file??... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Dummy!

Hi everyone!! i need some help to do the next exercice, if some one can help-me! Perform a script to swap two lines of a file. The name of file as the two line numbers are passed as a parameter. It should be verify that the file exists, have the necessary permits and lines. i try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freixo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Dummy Question

Where can I get UNIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ciao303
1 Replies
addbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							 addbib(1)

Name
       addbib - create or extend bibliographic database

Syntax
       addbib [-p promptfile] [-a] database

Description
       When  this program starts up, answering ``y'' to the initial ``Instructions?'' prompt yields directions; typing ``n'' or RETURN skips them.
       The command then prompts for various bibliographic fields, reads responses from the terminal, and sends output records to  a  database.	 A
       null  response (just RETURN) means to leave out that field.  A minus sign (-) means to go back to the previous field.  A trailing backslash
       allows a field to be continued on the next line.  The repeating ``Continue?'' prompt allows the user either to resume by  typing  ``y''	or
       RETURN, to quit the current session by typing ``n'' or ``q'', or to edit the database with any system editor ( ).

Options
       -a   Suppresses prompting for an abstract.  Asking for an abstract is the default.  Abstracts are ended with a CTRL/D.

-p   Causes use of a new prompting skeleton, defined in promptfile.  This file should contain prompt strings, a tab, and the key-letters to
	    be written to the database.

The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below.	The insulates you from these key-letters, since it gives  you  prompts	in
       English.  However, if you edit the bibliography file later, you need this information.

%A	 Author's name
	    %B	 Book containing article referenced
	    %C	 City (place of publication)
	    %D	 Date of publication
	    %E	 Editor of book containing article referenced
	    %F	 Footnote number or label (supplied by refer)
	    %G	 Government order number
	    %H	 Header commentary, printed before reference
	    %I	 Issuer (publisher)
	    %J	 Journal containing article
	    %K	 Keywords to use in locating reference
	    %L	 Label field used by -k option of refer
	    %M	 Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined)
	    %N	 Number within volume
	    %O	 Other commentary, printed at end of reference
	    %P	 Page number(s)
	    %Q	 Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed)
	    %R	 Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished)
	    %S	 Series title
	    %T	 Title of article or book
	    %V	 Volume number
	    %X	 Abstract - used by roffbib, not by refer
	    %Y,Z ignored by refer

Except for `A', each field should be given once.  Only relevant fields should be supplied.  An example is:

%A	 Bill Tuthill
	    %T	 Refer - A Bibliography System
	    %I	 Computing Services
	    %C	 Berkeley
	    %D	 1982
	    %O	 UNX 4.3.5.

Files
       promptfile     Optional file to define prompting

See Also
       indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1)

addbib(1)