Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fun with tar
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fun with tar Post 623 by PxT on Wednesday 20th of December 2000 11:37:16 AM
Old 12-20-2000
Try fast-forwarding through the tape with the 'mt' command.
Something like:

mt -f /dev/rmt0n fsf 1

Will fast-forward the tape by one set. Then you could try your tar command again when you get to the appropriate place in the tape.

Make sure you are using the "no-rewind" version of the tape device. See the mt man page for more info.

HTH

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Fun with FreeBSD

Fun With Automounting on FreeBSD Link: Nice tips for FreeBSD Unix. http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

like to have fun in terminal

Hai Friends I have installed FreeBSD in my system... I have installed it to work in text mode don't have the GUI. The default text color is Black background with White Foreground. I want it to be with Black background with Green Foreground. How could i do that. Thanks in advance Collins (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

fun scripts

Lets get a list of everyones funny scripts (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fun with awk

uggc://ra.jvxvcrqvn.bet/jvxv/EBG13 #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { for (n=0;n<26;n++) { x=sprintf("%c",n+65); y=sprintf("%c",(n+13)%26+65) r=y; r=tolower(y) } } { b = "" for (n=1; x=substr($0,n,1); n++) b = b ((y=r)?y:x) print b } ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

More fun with awk

#!/usr/bin/ksh ls -l $@ | awk ' /^-/ { l = 5*log($5) h = sprintf("%7d %-72s",$5,$8) print "\x1B ls command with histogram of file sizes. The histogram scale is logaritmic, to avoid very short bars for smaller files or very long bars for bigger files. Screenshot: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: colemar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
AMMT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   AMMT(8)

NAME
ammt - Amanda version of mt SYNOPSIS
ammt [ -d ] [ -f|-t device ] command [ count ] DESCRIPTION
Ammt provides just enough of the standard mt command for the needs of Amanda. This is handy when doing a full restore and the standard mt program has not yet been found. Ammt also provides access to the Amanda output drivers that support various tape simulations. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. See the OUTPUT DRIVERS section of amanda(8) for more information on the Amanda output drivers. OPTIONS
-d Turn on debugging output. -f device Access tape device device. If not specified, the TAPE environment variable is used. -t device Same as -f. command count Which command to issue, and an optional count of operations. COMMANDS
Each command may be abbreviated to whatever length makes it unique. eof|weof count Write count (default: 1) end of file marks (tapemarks). fsf count Skip forward count (default: 1) files. bsf count Skip backward count (default: 1) files. asf count Position to file number count (default: 0) where zero is beginning of tape. This is the same as a rewind followed by a fsf count. rewind Rewind to beginning of tape. offline|rewoffl Rewind to beginning of tape and unload the tape from the drive. status Report status information about the drive. Which data reported, and what it means, depends on the underlying operating system, and may include: ONLINE Indicates the drive is online and ready. OFFLINE Indicates the drive is offline or not ready. BOT Indicates the drive is at beginning of tape. EOT Indicates the drive is at end of tape. PROTECTED Indicates the tape is write protected. ds Device status. er Error register. fileno Current tape file number. blkno Current tape block number file. NOTE: many systems only report good data when a tape is in the drive and ready. AUTHOR
Marc Mengel <mengel@fnal.gov> John R. Jackson <jrj@purdue.edu> SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMMT(8)