Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to Find who is calling me? Post 62117 by Perderabo on Friday 11th of February 2005 11:38:54 AM
Old 02-11-2005
The OP doesn't want an address at all. Inside function1, he wants to do something and get either "function2" or "main" as the result, depending on which of those called him. This might mean obtaining the the returm address as an intermediate result and then scanning a symbol table, but the address is not the objective. This would only be doable if the program was compiled with symbolic debugging information included as for use with a symbolic debugger like gdb. I'm not going to try something that daunting for such a minor result.

If I really needed that, I would expand the argument list of the function1 module to contain a field called "caller". Then I use:
function1("main")
function1("function2")
as needed. function1 would refer to the first argument to find the caller.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

i am trying to find out who is calling me

they are having an operator call my home line and also my cell number and they are typing and the operator tells me what they are typing on their computer. i nevere heard of this. it is new to me. it is free the operator said, they knew my name and also a friend of mine's name...the phone says the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gail
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi calling template

Hello. I want to copy temp files when I make a new file by vi. For example, 09:32:52 ~/ $ mkdir test 09:33:03 ~/ $ cd test/ 09:33:09 ~/test/ $ ls 09:33:16 ~/test/ $ vi test.cpp 09:34:37 ~/test/ $ cat test.cpp #include <iostream> int main() { } 09:34:48 ~/test/ $ vi test.bash 09:35:19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Euler04
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling alias

I have created a shortcut for the file kill_process.sh as shown below. alias kill_process="sh /root/kill_process.sh" It is working as per my expectations. But I have 2 questions. 1) Is there any better way? 2) How do I check what does kill_process link to? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
1 Replies

4. Programming

calling Perl from C

Hi, I am trying to execute a perl script from c program. I tried using system command. system("perl test.pl filename") ; This perl program takes filename as input and prints a number to screen. I need to get that returned number in C program. system command is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkusumam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a file

Hi, How to call a file in shell script? I need to execute a file in shell script whether its possibel if it please give some example please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script calling Perl function, sort and find data, write to new files

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I must write a shell script that calls two external Perl functions--one of which sorts the data in a file, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kowit010
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does calling it .sh help?

Hi. I have been running some scripts ok with no extension on the name, and they work fine. What difference does it make if I call them whatever.sh? And I have some scripts starting #!/bin/bash - which debian recognises as shell scritps, even without the .sh ending - and some which don't. I'm sure... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: triplemaya
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a find/remove within a script

Greetings all, I am calling a remove from within a script that is used for a cleanup process.. It is not working as expected. Here is what I am doing. I have a config file that lists out a directory name, and the options to run Within the config file DIR1="find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -exec How to add additional parameter when calling a funtion

Hello Current working script is : # # my_script BEGIN # function a_function { FIRST_PARAM="$1" DO_SOMETHING "$FIRST_PARAM" } export -f a_function START_HERE="/home/some_user/Documents" find $START_HERE" -exec bash -c 'a_function "$0" ' {} \; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling specific characters from a find variable

I'm trying to do something like this: find . -name blablabla -exec ln -s ./"{:53:14} blablabla" \; The idea is find blablabla and create a symbolic link to it using part of it's path and then it's name, "blablabla." I just don't know if I can call characters out of a find variable. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
16 Replies
STAB(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   STAB(5)

NAME
stab -- symbol table types SYNOPSIS
#include <stab.h> DESCRIPTION
The file <stab.h> defines some of the symbol table n_type field values for a.out files. These are the types for permanent symbols (i.e., not local labels, etc.) used by the old debugger sdb and the Berkeley Pascal compiler pc(1). Symbol table entries can be produced by the .stabs assembler directive. This allows one to specify a double-quote delimited name, a symbol type, one char and one short of information about the symbol, and an unsigned long (usually an address). To avoid having to produce an explicit label for the address field, the .stabd direc- tive can be used to implicitly address the current location. If no name is needed, symbol table entries can be generated using the .stabn directive. The loader promises to preserve the order of symbol table entries produced by .stab directives. As described in a.out(5), an element of the symbol table consists of the following structure: /* * Format of a symbol table entry. */ struct nlist { union { const char *n_name; /* for use when in-core */ long n_strx; /* index into file string table */ } n_un; unsigned char n_type; /* type flag */ char n_other; /* unused */ short n_desc; /* see struct desc, below */ unsigned n_value; /* address or offset or line */ }; The low bits of the n_type field are used to place a symbol into at most one segment, according to the following masks, defined in <a.out.h>. A symbol can be in none of these segments by having none of these segment bits set. /* * Simple values for n_type. */ #define N_UNDF 0x0 /* undefined */ #define N_ABS 0x2 /* absolute */ #define N_TEXT 0x4 /* text */ #define N_DATA 0x6 /* data */ #define N_BSS 0x8 /* bss */ #define N_EXT 01 /* external bit, or'ed in */ The n_value field of a symbol is relocated by the linker, ld(1) as an address within the appropriate segment. N_value fields of symbols not in any segment are unchanged by the linker. In addition, the linker will discard certain symbols, according to rules of its own, unless the n_type field has one of the following bits set: /* * Other permanent symbol table entries have some of the N_STAB bits set. * These are given in <stab.h> */ #define N_STAB 0xe0 /* if any of these bits set, don't discard */ This allows up to 112 (7 * 16) symbol types, split between the various segments. Some of these have already been claimed. The old symbolic debugger, sdb, uses the following n_type values: #define N_GSYM 0x20 /* global symbol: name,,0,type,0 */ #define N_FNAME 0x22 /* procedure name (f77 kludge): name,,0 */ #define N_FUN 0x24 /* procedure: name,,0,linenumber,address */ #define N_STSYM 0x26 /* static symbol: name,,0,type,address */ #define N_LCSYM 0x28 /* .lcomm symbol: name,,0,type,address */ #define N_RSYM 0x40 /* register sym: name,,0,type,register */ #define N_SLINE 0x44 /* src line: 0,,0,linenumber,address */ #define N_SSYM 0x60 /* structure elt: name,,0,type,struct_offset */ #define N_SO 0x64 /* source file name: name,,0,0,address */ #define N_LSYM 0x80 /* local sym: name,,0,type,offset */ #define N_SOL 0x84 /* #included file name: name,,0,0,address */ #define N_PSYM 0xa0 /* parameter: name,,0,type,offset */ #define N_ENTRY 0xa4 /* alternate entry: name,linenumber,address */ #define N_LBRAC 0xc0 /* left bracket: 0,,0,nesting level,address */ #define N_RBRAC 0xe0 /* right bracket: 0,,0,nesting level,address */ #define N_BCOMM 0xe2 /* begin common: name,, */ #define N_ECOMM 0xe4 /* end common: name,, */ #define N_ECOML 0xe8 /* end common (local name): ,,address */ #define N_LENG 0xfe /* second stab entry with length information */ where the comments give sdb conventional use for .stab s and the n_name, n_other, n_desc, and n_value fields of the given n_type. Sdb uses the n_desc field to hold a type specifier in the form used by the Portable C Compiler, cc(1); see the header file pcc.h for details on the format of these type values. The Berkeley Pascal compiler, pc(1), uses the following n_type value: #define N_PC 0x30 /* global pascal symbol: name,,0,subtype,line */ and uses the following subtypes to do type checking across separately compiled files: 1 source file name 2 included file name 3 global label 4 global constant 5 global type 6 global variable 7 global function 8 global procedure 9 external function 10 external procedure 11 library variable 12 library routine SEE ALSO
as(1), ld(1), a.out(5) HISTORY
The stab file appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
More basic types are needed. BSD
June 10, 2010 BSD