Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition Hard drive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Partition Hard drive Post 61449 by amir on Thursday 3rd of February 2005 01:52:46 PM
Old 02-03-2005
Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone.
I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here.
I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then partition the HD into two parts, one for XP and one for Linux?
Most of my friends say that this is a great OS and hope to learn it soon.
Thank you

Last edited by amir; 02-03-2005 at 02:59 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Question About Drive Partition

I'm using PartitionMagic's wizard to partition my drive for Linux, and after I get past the first step it asks if I want to screate a seperate Linux Swap Partition. What is a Linux Swap Partition and is something I need/should have? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tradewynd
10 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead partition on drive

We are still using solaris 1 with sunos 4.1.4 because nobody here knows Unix. My colleague did a backup (dump) to the wrong place (/dev/sd0h) and we lost this part of the drive. The information is still on tape but we cannot repartition the /dev/sd0h. fsck keeps on about the "wrong SUPER BLOCK"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tom Bekaert
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard-disk partition is Full problem?

HI, Currently I am working in One of the webhosting company and I found on one of my server "/home" partition is getting full say 105% usage... But when I actually check the partition size using "du -h", exact partition utilization is only 60-70%. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Puzzled over over the relationship between the partition and geometry of hard disk.

Not sure why solaris couldn't detect the geometry of a hard disk which has a working OS of winxp pro. Is it due to the different OS that the partition information is stored in different location? When I type '"format" it is shown as below, c3d1 < drive type unknown>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: just.srad
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Replacing a hard disk (SVM) with a soft partition?

The following is the summarry:- 1) Four disks in server ie (c1t0d0. c1t1d0, c1t2d0, c1t3d0). c1t2d0 is the disk to be replaced. c1t0d0 and c1t2d0 are mirrors. c1t1d0 and c1t3d0 are mirrors. Metadb to be deleted is in c1t2d0s7 a) Mirror d35 has 2 submirrors d38 and d39 d38 is a stripe... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji1729
0 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies
mkboot(1M)																mkboot(1M)

NAME
mkboot, rmboot - install, update or remove boot programs from disk SYNOPSIS
boot_file_path] included_lif_file] preserved_lif_file] device auto_file_string] device efi_file_path] device device DESCRIPTION
is used to install or update boot programs on the specified device file. The position on device at which boot programs are installed depends on the disk layout of the device. examines device to discover the cur- rent layout and uses this as the default. If the disk is uninitialized, the default is LVM layout on PA-RISC and Whole Disk on systems. The default can be overridden by the or options. Boot programs are stored in the boot area in Logical Interchange Format (LIF), which is similar to a file system. For a device to be bootable, the LIF volume on that device must contain at least the (the initial system loader) and (the HP-UX bootstrap utility) LIF files. If, in addition, the device is an LVM physical volume, the file must be present (see lvlnboot(1M)). For the VERITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) layout on the Itanium-based system architecture, the only relevant LIF file is the file. All other LIF files are ignored. VxVM uses the file when the system boots to determine the location of the root, stand, swap, and dump volumes. Options recognizes the following options: If the option is specified, creates an autoexecute file on device, if none exists. deposits auto_file_string in that file. If this string contains spaces, it must be quoted so that it is a single parameter. If this option is given, boot programs in the pathname specified by boot_file_path are installed on the given device. If this option is specified, checks if the available space on device is sufficient for the boot programs. If the option is also speci- fied, checks if each included_lif_file is present in the boot programs. If the option is specified, it checks if each preserved_lif_file is present on the device. If all these checks succeed, exits with a sta- tus code of 0. If any of these checks fail, exits with a status code of 1. If the verbose option is also selected, a message is also displayed on the standard output. Use Itanium-based system EFI layout. This option causes to copy EFI utilities from to the EFI partition on the disk; see idisk(1M) and efi(4). This option is applicable only on Itanium-based machines; it may not be used on PA-RISC. (Use the option to specify a non-default source for EFI files.) This option forces the information contained in the boot programs to be placed on the specified device without regard to the current swapping status. Its intended use is to allow the boot area to grow without having to boot the system twice (see option). This option should only be used when the system is in the single user state. This could be a dangerous operation because swap space that is already allocated and possibly in use will be overwritten by the new boot program information. A message is also displayed to the standard output stating that the operator should immediately reboot the system to avoid system corruption and to reflect new infor- mation on the running system. A safer method for reapportioning space is to use the option. This option is valid only if device has the Whole Disk layout. Specifying this option shrinks the available space allocated to swap in the LIF header by the amount required to allow the installation of the new boot programs specified by boot_file_path. After the LIF header has been modified, reboot the system to reflect the new swap space on the running sys- tem. At this point, the new boot programs can be installed and the system rebooted again to reflect the new boot programs on the running system. This is the safe method for accomplishing the capability of the option. This option is valid only if device has the Whole Disk layout. If this option is specified, treats device to be a Hard Partition layout disk. This option cannot be used along with the and options. If the option is specified one or more times, copies each included_lif_file and ignores any other LIF files in the boot programs. The sole exceptions to this rule are the files and which are copied without regard to the options. If included_lif_file is also specified with the option, the option is ignored. If the option is used with as its argument and the file does not exist in the boot programs, and device is an LVM layout disk or the option is used, creates a minimal file on device which will permit the system to boot on device, pos- sibly without swap or dump. If the device is a disk with VxVM layout and the option is used, the file created by is not sufficient to permit the system to boot. To create a file for the VxVM layout, you must use the command after has been executed. If this option is used, treats device as a volume layout disk, regardless of whether or not it is currently set up as one. This option cannot be used along with the and options. Use the option for any volume manager, including the VER- ITAS Volume Manager (VxVM) as well as LVM. If the option is specified one or more times, keeps each specified preserved_lif_file intact on device. If pre- served_lif_file also appears as an argument to the option, that option is ignored. This option is typically used with the autoexecute file, and with the LVM file, If is specified as an argument to the option and does not exist on the device, and if the layout is LVM, creates a minimal file. In general, if preserved_lif_file is not on the device, fails. An exception to this condition is if the preserved_lif_file is and the layout is not LVM, in which case the file is ignored. Fetch the EFI files to be copied from efi_file_path instead of from the default location The option is valid only with the option, which specifies the Itanium-based ssytem EFI layout. If is specified, uses the information contained in the LIF header to identify the location of the swap area, boot area, and raw I/O so that installation of the boot programs does not violate any user data. Normally, the LIF header information is overwritten on each invocation of mkboot. This option is typically used with the option, to modify boot programs on a disk that is actively supporting swap and/or raw I/O. If this option is specified, displays its actions, including the amount of swap space available on the specified device. If this option is specified, treats device as a disk having the Whole Disk layout. This option cannot be used along with the and options. This option will also fail on a disk having large-file enabled HFS filesystem. device Install the boot programs on the given device special file. The specified device can identify either a char- acter-special or block-special device. However, requires that both the block and character device special files be present. attempts to determine whether device is character or block special by examining the spec- ified path name. For this reason, the complete path name must be supplied. If is unable to determine the corresponding device file, a message is written to the display, and exits. removes the boot programs from the boot area. EXAMPLES
Install default boot programs on the specified disk, treating it as an LVM disk: Use the existing layout, and install only SYSLIB and ODE files and preserve the EST file on the disk: Install only the SYSLIB file and retain the ODE file on the disk. Use the Whole Disk layout. Use the file to get the boot programs rather than the default. (The option will be ignored): Install EFI utilities to the EFI partition on an Itanium-based system, treating it as an LVM or VxVM disk: Create file with the string on a device. If the device is on an Itanium-based system, the file is created as in the EFI partition. If the device is on a PA-RISC system, the file is created as a LIF file in the boot area. WARNINGS
If device has a Whole Disk layout, a file system must reside on the device being modified. When executing from a recovery system, the command (if used) must be invoked with the option; otherwise it will not be able to replace the boot area on your disk. If device is, or is intended to become an LVM physical volume, device must specify the whole disk. If device is, or is intended to become a Hard Partitioned disk, device must specify section 6. If you receive a message that says "statvfsdev: Can't send after socket shutdown", check with your system administrator to make sure the is running properly on your system. DEPENDENCIES
and fail if file system type on device is not HFS. LVM and Hard Partition Layouts The and options are not supported. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. FILES
file containing default PA-RISC boot programs file containing default Itanium-based system (EFI) boot programs initial system loader HP-UX bootstrap and installation utility defines default/automatic boot behavior (see hpux(1M)) used by LVM diagnostics tool diagnostics tool SEE ALSO
boot(1M), hpux(1M), hpux.efi(1M), isl(1M), lvlnboot(1M), mkfs(1M), newfs(1M), vxvmboot(1M), efi(4), lif(4). mkboot(1M)