Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Compress files with output to tape Post 6137 by Optimus_P on Thursday 30th of August 2001 10:19:58 AM
Old 08-30-2001
what os are you running. diffearnt os's have differant backup commands that support diffearnt options.

with the tar command you can have it written directly to tape. there are many examples in the man page.

#man tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Compress log files?

Hi, I have my log files in /home/user1/temp2/logs i want to archive *.log and *.txt files and to store in my /home/user1/temp2/archved/ with *.log with Time stamp ,Please let me know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress all INACTIVE Files

Hi gurus, I have a batch job running daily night automatically. The job produces file with extension '.0' like a.0, b.0 etc. Now due to file space constraints, most of the time, the job fails with insufficient disk space and then we have to manually start the job again and keep running the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress files

Hi All, I would like to archive some of the scripts below(USFINUM042006_01.CSV USFINUM042006_02.CSV and USFINUM042006_03.CSV )and also use a wildcard e.g. <command> USFINUM*.CSV. Also there are a lot of similar files but I want only the three latest files to be compressed. Which is the best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compress html files

Hello, On a Centos 5.0 server, Apache 2.2 delivers static html page. How could I compress those html pages to gain speed and save bandwidth? is there a utility that would be effective and save? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress files

Could someone give me an idea how to compress all files from a given directory that are not of type .z (compressed). Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress multiple files at one go

I want to compress all the files which are three years older ..I have thousands of files... 1) This doesnt work find ./ -type f -mtime +1176 -print | xargs -n1 -i tar -cvf {} Errror tar: Missing filenames Probably because of - find ./ -type f -mtime -1 -print returns - " ./temp.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a particular month files

Hi ALL, I am working on a folder where there are lot of files for the past one year. I need to compress a particular month files alone. suppose i need to compress the feb month files alone, what is the script we can use. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acronis.84
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I compress all files in a directory?

the problem states "Write a script that compresses all the files in the directory. Make a directory and put some files in it. Also make a sub directory in your directory and put files in it also. Once you have this basic ability to compress all files within a directory, add to your script a menu of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brittany
1 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)