Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users use email subject line as shell command Post 61232 by Neo on Monday 31st of January 2005 11:23:24 PM
Old 02-01-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskarica
I want to use the text in the subject field to invoke a shell script, so basically I need to find a way that I can automatically forward the subject line to the unix command prompt. Any ideas??

My other problem is that these emails will have attachments. I want these attachments to be saved to the home directory (or any other directory) automatically when the email is received.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
This is a somewhat easy problem to solve with procmail.

www.procmail.org

That is what I use for all these types of solutions. After you get familar with procmail, you can do many things you would never dream of using mail as an input to a filter Smilie

Neo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

create email w/ ASCII attachment via command-line

All, I need to email an ASCII data file to a business partner, and intended on creating a Korn Shell script to create an email message (minimal text), and attach the ASCII data file to the email. It seems this is not as easy as I had thought it might be. sendmail does not support... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwperry
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script based on the subject line of the email

Hi, I need help in running a script that would pull info from an email subject line and run a script (foo.sh). I'm pretty sure after a bit of googling that this is possible in several ways. but none was pretty clear on how to accomplish it. The part that I really need help with is getting the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satekn
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing/including command in mailx subject line

Hi, Is it possible for me to include the results from a command in the subject line? What I am looking to do is get the file count and include it into the subject line as well as the list of files in the body. Example Subject line: Currently 25 files in directory My Code: #!/bin/ksh cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozifer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with script to send email and if subject line match is found

Help with script that will check log, then find a match is found, add that as the subject line. 1. The script will always run as a deamon.. and scan the event.log file 2. when a new 101 line is added to the event.log file, have the script check position 5,6 and 7 which is the job name, which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axdelg
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Command line email help needed

Hi, having some problems getting commandline mail to work for root user in ubuntu. Ive installed the following packages - msmtp & mailx and the cert for gmail. I've created 3 files: mailrc and msmtprc in /home/username directory and /etc/exim4/passwd.client mailrc ------ set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggycat
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subject line of an email

Hi all, I am trying to automate a process in which at the end of the process the script should send an email to the user saying this process is completed. I have done everything but the problem now is the subject line of the email... the subject line looks like this.. where abc xyz is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
4 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Send Email from command line in Ubuntu 11.10

Have problem to send email from command line according to the posts like this one: To have the ability to send email from the command line, you will need to install the mailutils and postfix packages with the following commands. apt-get install mailutils apt-get install postfix Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending sql output to email body with conditional subject line

hi , i have written below piece of code to meet the requirement but i am stuck in the logic here. the requirement are: 1) to send the sql out put to email body with proper formatting. 2) if count_matching = Yes then mail should triggered with the subject line ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzkashi
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable not displaying in subject line of mailx email

Hi Newbie here with first post. I've got a shell script (ksh) whereby I run a SQL*Plus script and output the results to a file. I then check the output file in an if statement that looks like this: if ]; then export GAPNUM=`awk '{print $4}' $OUTFILE` if ] then mailx -s... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltzwoman
10 Replies