Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: glance RSS/VSS data column
Operating Systems HP-UX glance RSS/VSS data column Post 60436 by xtrix on Monday 17th of January 2005 09:32:02 AM
Old 01-17-2005
glance RSS/VSS data column

hi guys... i got a problem... i have written a trivial test program which allocates some memory, it waits for a while (enters a loop), and then releases that memory. the problem is that although glance depitcs the memory allocation procedure properly - by updating both RSS and VSS data segments column - something weird is happening during the deletion... both RSS and VSS data segments remain unchanged!!! Should this be happening? thanx in advance...

PS: HP-UX B.11.00

Last edited by xtrix; 01-17-2005 at 10:38 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

glance in hpux, RSS is 164.2mb

hi, in hpux, have this mib2agt in glance whose RSS column is 164.2mb. mib2agt resides in /usr/sbin.... is the value for RSS too high in this case.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpature data from glance and exit

it trying to create a script that captures data from the glance command every 10 mins. when the command is executed, it displays data and will only exit when E is pressed. how can i code my script to exit from after the data is collected? i am trying to use EOT, does anyone knows how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent !!! Shell script to copy files to VSS

Hi all !!! I need this sample script urgently. Please help. Suppose I do an "ls -ltr" in a directory and store the output in a text file (say "a.txt"). What I need to do is to write a shell script which reads file-names from "a.txt" and copies only those files to VSS. Let's say the destination... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devalin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing VSS through Perl

Hi All, can you please let me know how to copy entire files in a directory of VSS to a local folder. i am using PERL to access the VSS. Thanks in Advance regards, aditya Mahi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column that matches specific pattern, with column data from another file

Can anyone please help with this? I have 2 files as given below. If 2nd column of file1 has pattern foo1@a, find the matching 1st column in file2 & replace 2nd column of file1 with file2's value. file1 abc_1 foo1@a .... abc_1 soo2@a ... def_2 soo2@a .... def_2 foo1@a ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashali
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and match column data and align data from 3 column

Hello experts, Please help me in achieving this in an easier way possible. I have 2 csv files with following data: File1 08/23/2012 12:35:47,JOB_5330 08/23/2012 12:35:47,JOB_5330 08/23/2012 12:36:09,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:14,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:22,JOB_5350 08/23/2012... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
5 Replies

9. Solaris

RSS of prstat vs RSS of PS

Hi, When I sum the RSS number in the ps command for a specific user and compare it with the RSS values of the prstat command of the same user - there is a big difference. Server details: Solaris 10 5/09 s10s_u7wos_08 SPARC prstat output: NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change data in one column with data from another file's column

Hello, I have this file outputData: # cat /tmp/outputData __Capacity^6^NBSC01_Licences^L3_functionality_for_ESB_switch __Capacity^2100^NBSC01_Licences^Gb_over_IP __Capacity^1837^NBSC01_Licences^EDGE_BSS_Fnc __Capacity^1816^NBSC01_Licences^GPRS_CS3_and_CS4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nypreH
1 Replies
plock(2)							System Calls Manual							  plock(2)

NAME
plock() - lock process, text, data, stack, or shared library in memory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call allows the calling process to lock the text segment of the process (text lock), its data segment (data lock), or both its text and data segment (process lock) into memory. Stack segments are also locked when data segments are locked. Shared library text and shared library data segments (shlib lock) can also be locked. Locked segments are immune to all routine swapping. also allows these seg- ments to be unlocked. The effective user ID of the calling process must be a user with the privilege. op must be one of the following: Lock text and data segments into memory (process lock) Lock text segment into memory (text lock) Lock data segment into memory (data lock) Remove locks Lock shared library text and shared library data segments (shared library lock) Lock text, data and shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (process and shared library lock) Lock text, shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (text and shared library lock) Lock data, shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (data and shared library lock) Although and the family of functions may be used together in an application, each may affect the other in unexpected ways. This practice is not recommended. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call require the privilege. Processes owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. The requested operation is not performed. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. op is equal to and a process lock, a text lock, or a data lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a text lock or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a data lock, or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and no type of lock exists on the calling process. op is equal to and there are no unlocked shared library segments in the calling process. op is equal to and a process lock, a text lock, or a data lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a text lock or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a data lock, or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is not equal to one of the values specified in is not allowed in a window. See vfork(2). There is not enough lockable memory in the system to satisfy the locking request. The effective user ID of the calling process is not a user with the privilege. EXAMPLES
The following call to locks the calling process in memory: SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), getprivgrp(2), mlock(2), vfork(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
plock(2)