Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting disk space used for files with in a directory structure. Post 60311 by Perderabo on Friday 14th of January 2005 02:51:46 PM
Old 01-14-2005
If subdir2 and/or subdir5 are very large or if there are a lot of delete* files, this will slow down as it does work which is discarded by the grep processes. A complex find statement can produce a list of only the desired files...

find 123* \( -name subdir2 -o -name subdir5 -prune \) -o -type f ! -name delet\*

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I increase disk space available to a directory?

I know very basic Unix commands s I would really appreacite the assistance of a Unix guru. I am installing an application on a Sun server, when attempting to install I get an error that says I do not have enough sapce allocated for my install directory. Error says it has 7235m but needs 15360m.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhack
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy files with directory structure

i have a text file as. /database/sp/NTR_Update_Imsi_List.sql /database/sp/NTR_Update_Imsi_Range_List.sql /database/sp/NTR_Vlr_Upload.sql /database/tables/StatsTables.sql /mib/ntr.mib /mib/ntr.v2.mib /scripts/operations/ntr/IMSITracer.ph /scripts/operations/ntr/IMSITracer.pl ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adddy
3 Replies

4. SCO

Transfer files wih directory structure.

I need to transfer software off a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 server. I can not seem to read this server's tape on my other server since the tape drive (IBM Gen 5 DAT 72GB) will continuosly "eject" this DAT 8 tape. I have been able to 'tarball' most of the smaller directories with success and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxlunatick
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove all empty files within the directory structure?

Hi I need to write a shell script which basically searches for all the empty files within the directory structure, lists them before asking the user to confirm if they would like to delete them. If the user deletes the file then a notice would appear confirming the file is deleted. I've be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cat123
5 Replies

6. Programming

C++: how to check my directory disk space

I have a directory, and I write some files in to that. How to throw the error exception when my directory is full. i.e. there is no disk space (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SamRoj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to traverse directory structure and sum size of files?

How do I write a bash or ruby or perl or groovy script to print all the files in my directory tree that are one-to-two years old, the size of each file, and the sum of file sizes and then delete them? I was using find . -atime +365 -exec rm '{}' \; but the problem was that I could not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract files from tar ball without directory structure

Hi, I have tar filw which has multiple directories which contain files. When i extract using tar -xf the directory structure also get extracted. I require only files and not directory structures as there will be overhead of moving the files again. So i searched here and got a solution but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving files keeping the same structure directory

Hello Team, We would like to backup a lot of files inside of a structure of directories, four, five or more levels in some Ubuntu, Mac and Solaris systems. For instance: /home/chuck/sales/virgin/rent-quote.pdf /home/chuck/sales/marriott/vacation-quote.pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)