Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers exec command and field descriptors.. Post 58926 by Perderabo on Saturday 4th of December 2004 04:58:06 PM
Old 12-04-2004
They are other integers that relate to files. Some programs are too complex to fit into a stdin/stdout model. Some scripts simply need more stuff as well. A contrived example:

exec 3> john.out
exec 4>paul.out
exec 5>george.out
exec 6>ringo.out

echo harrison >&5
echo lennon >&3

With these echo statements, something like >&3 really means 1>&3 which means send fd 1 into whatever fd 3 is pointing to. Nobody actually writes to 3 in this case. 3 is kind of a placeholder. With the korn shell, you can do

print -u6 starr

where the -u6 says to actually use fd 6. And you might write a c program with statements like:
write(4, "mccartney", 10);

With a program like that, you may need to connect something to fd 4 if the program itself doesn't do it.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using the -exec command

linux redhat 8.0 I am getting accustomed to using the -exec command to get around my databse.. and use it to edit and update files..! is this more apllicable than jumping from one directory to the other.. I have set up the databse so that the inode #'s are accessable and can get me from one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with exec command and file descriptors??

im having trouble with the comprehending the exec command and the use of file descriptors. given: #!/bin/sh exec 4>&1 exec 1>&2 exec 2>&4 exec 4>&- echo Hello would the standard output of this script be sent to STDOUT, STDERR or neither and why??? thanks for the help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rfourn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with exec command and file descriptors II

Need to close files which descriptor number are larger than 9 in ksh. 'exec 10>&-' fails with 'ksh: 10: not found'. How do you specify file descriptors which occupies two or more digits in ksh script? Thanks, Masaki (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masaki
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command

can any one pls explain the meaning of exec 1<&5 ?? its urgent (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

exec and file descriptors

Hi, I speak and write english more or less, so I hope my asking be clear. :) In the company I am working, they are using control-m software to lunch shell scripts. So i put this command in all shell scripts: export LOGFILE_tmp=$PRODUC_DATA/tmp/${SCRIPT}_${PAIS}_`date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamcara
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exec command

Hi can some one explain the following command , It would really help if some can really elloborate on what is happening out here export PATH | exec /bin/sh ./auto_approve :q P.S: This is the first time i am using exec ,so an elloboration what does it do and what is the use of the :q will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command help

Hi, I have the following lines in a script : . . exec < some_file . . . I have very little idea about exec command. I would like to know what this does and what will happen if the file some_file does not exist. Specifically, I would like to know whether the lines following this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use 3 descriptors with ssh command

Hi, I want to execute some commands via ssh. errupdate <enter> =5A7598C3: <enter> Report=False <enter> Log=False <enter> <CTRL + D> <CTRL + D> how can i do this ? I suppose i have to use file descriptor but i don't know how ? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)