Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: downloading through ftp
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users downloading through ftp Post 58883 by moxxx68 on Friday 3rd of December 2004 01:34:19 PM
Old 12-03-2004
I have a site on my other browser that is called www.pathname.com/fhs etc... this page is basically providing information on the fileheirarchy.. and it states that you should not place any binaries in etc.. (which I am not following to well.. it is saying to place packages in /ect/opt/package which i am not following either.. do I just place the install package in /etc/opt or the whole .tgz package. including all the readmes and so on.. if you could give a brief decription of how I should go about installing a package on my system in /etc/opt since I have been able to download them but they don't seem to work.
thanx moxxx68

Last edited by moxxx68; 12-03-2004 at 10:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Downloading with lynx

Hi there! I one saw a command that allowed to download a file using lynx from an HTTP server without opening lynx itself. Looked something like this: $ lynx -xyz http://localhost/foo.bar ~/foo.bar I looked into lynx manpages and help but didn't find anything. Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

downloading folders in ftp

can you download folders when in ftp or is the only way to download more then one file by mget?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Downloading

Kindly help us... Is there a way in linux how we'll be able to check which workstation is downloading files from the internet and what file is it? Please put into consideration that our linux has a firewall. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eric_hing
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Downloading whole directory with FTP

Is it possible using FTP to download a whole directory and all subdirectories at once without having to go through every single file? Thanks, Tom (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pokeyzx
4 Replies

5. Linux

Downloading Linux

My class "UNIX using Linux" started today. The software that came with my text book will not download. I am running XP pro .. When I load the "guide to UNIX using Linux" disk the only thing that comes up is E:/ showing some files that are on the disk and then it stops and does nothing. Can anyone... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tammy
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Downloading one day old files from FTP site

HI, I'm downloading one day old files from ftp site. Below is my script ---------------------------- printf "open $HOST \n" > ftp.cmd printf "user $USER $PASSWD\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "bin\n" >> ftp.cmd #printf "cd /Models/\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "prompt\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "for oldfile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script - ftp downloading serveral files without mget

Hello guys, i'm searching for a solution how to download all files from root-directory of an ftp-server through an ftp proxy getting through the ftp proxy and download one file with get ist no problem, but mget * does nothing! ftp -n -i -v <<EOF open proxyHost proxyPort user... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: macProgger23
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Wget, downloading a file to a FTP

Hi there, I've got my own domain, ftp etc.. I'm using cPanel and I want to download a file periodically, every say 24 hours. I've used this command: wget -t inf http : / / www . somesite . com / webcam.jpg ftp : / / i @ MyDomain . net : Password @ ftp . MyDomain . net^no spaces... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: zYx
24 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading with Wget

Hello everyone. I'm new both to the forum and to unix scripting, and this website has been very useful in putting together a script I am working on. However, I have run into a bit of a snag, which is why I have come here seeking help. First I will say what I am trying to do, and then what I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keltonhalbert
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading FTP Files

Hi every one, I have the requirement to download the files from FTP and move those files to unix box. Once after coping the files, i need to remove the files in FTP. I'm a newbie in Unix script. Can you please suggest a script for this.. Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Murali4u
2 Replies
ftp::geturl(n)							    ftp client							    ftp::geturl(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ftp::geturl - Uri handler for ftp urls SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require ftp::geturl ?0.2.1? ::ftp::geturl url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command which wraps around the client side of the ftp protocol provided by package ftp to allow the retrieval of urls using the ftp schema. API
::ftp::geturl url This command can be used by the generic command ::uri::geturl (See package uri) to retrieve the contents of ftp urls. Internally it uses the commands of the package ftp to fulfill the request. The contents of a ftp url are defined as follows: file The contents of the specified file itself. directory A listing of the contents of the directory in key value notation where the file name is the key and its attributes the asso- ciated value. link The attributes of the link, including the path it refers to. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ftp of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
ftpd, mime, pop3, smtp KEYWORDS
ftp, internet, net, rfc 959 CATEGORY
Networking ftp 0.2.1 ftp::geturl(n)