Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing duplicate lines ignore case Post 58761 by bhargav on Wednesday 1st of December 2004 03:52:07 PM
Old 12-01-2004
I hope following small script will solve yr prblem ;

#!/usr/bin/ksh

cat file1 | tr "[A-Z]" "[a-z]" | sort | uniq -u > file2

while read line
do
grep -i $line file1
done < file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove duplicate lines from a file. For example the contents of example.txt is: this is a test 2342 this is a test 34343 this is a test 43434 and i want to remove the "this is a test" lines only and end up with the numbers in the file, that is, end up with: 2342... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate blank lines

Hi, how to remove the blank lines from the file only If we have more than one blank line. thanks rameez (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the duplicate lines in a file

Hi, I need to concatenate three files in to one destination file.In this if some duplicate data occurs it should be deleted. eg: file1: ----- data1 value1 data2 value2 data3 value3 file2: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 data5 value5 file3: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from string (not duplicate lines)

please help me in getting following: Input Desired output x="foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo abc foo" foo abc x="foo foo1 foo2" foo foo1 foo2 I need to remove duplicated from string.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Lines per Section

Hello, I am in need of removing duplicate lines from within a file per section. File: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5 593.5000 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate lines while maintaing coherence with second file

So I have two files. The first file, file1.txt, has lines of numbers separated by commas. file1.txt 10,2,30,50 22,6,3,15,16,100 73,55 78,40,33,30,11 73,55 99,82,85 22,6,3,15,16,100 The second file, file2.txt, has sentences. file2.txt "the cat is fat" "I like eggs" "fish live in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrunknarwhal
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a block of duplicate lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with the data 1 abc 2 123 3 ; 4 rao 5 bell 6 ; 7 call 8 abc 9 123 10 ; 11 rao 12 bell 13 ; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a set of Duplicate lines from a file

Hi, How do i remove a set of duplicate lines from a file. My file contains the lines: abc def ghi abc def ghi jkl mno pqr jkl mno (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raosr020
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script: Removing HTML tags and duplicate lines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: You will write a script that will remove all HTML tags from an HTML document and remove any consecutive... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tburns517
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines after ignoring case and spaces between

Oracle Linux 6.5 $ cat someStrings.txt GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on SCOTT.emp to JOHN; grant select on scott.emp to john; grant select on scott.dept to hr;If you ignore the case and the empty space between the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)