Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing duplicate lines ignore case Post 58758 by hellsd on Wednesday 1st of December 2004 01:53:41 PM
Old 12-01-2004
It is not good

Because then I will lose the real values in the original file and the data I will get will be like converted (from lower to upper or and vice versia), because the input in file can be for example: "RsdA" and it has meaning

I thought there is a special/smart uniq that can do it.
Does anyone know how to do it?
Anyway, Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove duplicate lines from a file. For example the contents of example.txt is: this is a test 2342 this is a test 34343 this is a test 43434 and i want to remove the "this is a test" lines only and end up with the numbers in the file, that is, end up with: 2342... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate blank lines

Hi, how to remove the blank lines from the file only If we have more than one blank line. thanks rameez (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the duplicate lines in a file

Hi, I need to concatenate three files in to one destination file.In this if some duplicate data occurs it should be deleted. eg: file1: ----- data1 value1 data2 value2 data3 value3 file2: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 data5 value5 file3: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from string (not duplicate lines)

please help me in getting following: Input Desired output x="foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo abc foo" foo abc x="foo foo1 foo2" foo foo1 foo2 I need to remove duplicated from string.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Lines per Section

Hello, I am in need of removing duplicate lines from within a file per section. File: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5 593.5000 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicate lines while maintaing coherence with second file

So I have two files. The first file, file1.txt, has lines of numbers separated by commas. file1.txt 10,2,30,50 22,6,3,15,16,100 73,55 78,40,33,30,11 73,55 99,82,85 22,6,3,15,16,100 The second file, file2.txt, has sentences. file2.txt "the cat is fat" "I like eggs" "fish live in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrunknarwhal
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a block of duplicate lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with the data 1 abc 2 123 3 ; 4 rao 5 bell 6 ; 7 call 8 abc 9 123 10 ; 11 rao 12 bell 13 ; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a set of Duplicate lines from a file

Hi, How do i remove a set of duplicate lines from a file. My file contains the lines: abc def ghi abc def ghi jkl mno pqr jkl mno (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raosr020
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script: Removing HTML tags and duplicate lines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: You will write a script that will remove all HTML tags from an HTML document and remove any consecutive... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tburns517
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines after ignoring case and spaces between

Oracle Linux 6.5 $ cat someStrings.txt GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on MANHPRD.S_PROD_INT TO OR_PHIL; GRANT select on SCOTT.emp to JOHN; grant select on scott.emp to john; grant select on scott.dept to hr;If you ignore the case and the empty space between the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD