Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lock an User temperarily
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lock an User temperarily Post 5849 by Optimus_P on Friday 24th of August 2001 02:41:32 PM
Old 08-24-2001
in the /etc/shadow file put an "!" point in front of the password. this should lock the passwd. it will not be accessable to other users as that user can no longer log in untill the "!" is removed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to lock keyboard without using lock command

how can I lock my keyboard while I'm away from the computer without using lock command. What other commands gives me the option to lock keyboard device? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dianayun
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to Lock In HP-UX

Hi , How should i implemet a lock function Hp-ux . I want to a lock a file through fcntl in Hp-ux . But is not locking properly . Thanks Narendra (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
7 Replies

3. Solaris

lock user to directory in ftp

how can i lock a specific user to his home directory when he logs on to the computer with ftp? thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
3 Replies

4. Linux

Unable to Lock User

Hi, I am trying to lock a user by executing "passwd -l xxxx" but the system is returning following error: Locking password for user xxxx. passwd: Error (password not set?) I do see the passwd for this user encrypted in shadow file thou! Anyone have any ideas why am getting this error? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjitsingh
5 Replies

5. Linux

Lock User in home directory in ftp prompt

Hi, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5). Here I have created one user with /sbin/nologin shll such that login is not possible only ftp is possible. But I want to do another thing that the user can not roam around after ftp. I had tried one way. in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kallol
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file lock

I have an Essbase installation on Solaris 10 and need to get the backups configured. Unfortunately several key files are locked and Essbase (OLAP application) is not releasing the locks when the Essbase or the applications within stop running. It appears I can use chmod to unlock the files but I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JavaBrian
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

lock on files

Hi, I want to write a code where in the file once taken genrates a lock number and other developer/user cannot take the file to make any changes in it. He gets the file only as read only. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rac
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Lock the Script?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to lock the script if it's running? meaning anybody can't run my script while it's running. Please advise, Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
8 Replies
userstat(1M)															      userstat(1M)

NAME
userstat - check status of local user accounts SYNOPSIS
[parm]... [parm]... DESCRIPTION
checks the status of local user accounts and reports abnormal conditions, such as account locks. If any parm arguments are specified, abnormal status is displayed only for those parameters, otherwise abnormal status is displayed for all parameters. The section describes the various parameter values that can be used for parm. Each account with an abnormal status is displayed on a single line. Each line contains the username followed by one or more parameters, indicating what abnormal conditions exist for the account. The section describes the various parameters that can be displayed. Options The following options are recognized: Display the status of all users listed in (Quiet) Do not print anything to standard output. This can be used when interested only in the return value. Check the status of only the specified user name. The user must be a local user listed in Parameters The parameters that could be displayed to indicate abnormal account status, or that could be used with the option, include the following: is displayed if an administrator lock is present on the account. This lock indicates that the encrypted password in or begins with An administrator lock can be set, for example, with is displayed if the account is locked because the account expiration date has been reached. days is the number of days that the account has been expired. See the description of the expiration field in shadow(4). is displayed if the account's password has expired. days is the number of days that the password has been expired. days is displayed only if its value can be determined. is displayed if the account is locked because there have been no logins to the account for a time interval that exceeds the maximum allowed. days is the number of days that the account has been inactive. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account is locked because the number of consecutive authentication failures exceeded the maximum allowed. num is the number of consecutive authentication failures. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account is locked because the account has a null password and is not allowed to have a null password. See the description of the attribute in security(4). is displayed if the account has a time-of-day login restriction. times defines the time periods that the user may login. See the description of the attribute in security(4). Security Restrictions Users invoking this command must have the authorization. See authadm(1M). is not supported for trusted systems. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: did not find abnormal status found abnormal status invalid usage or user not found EXAMPLES
The following example reports all abnormal status for all local accounts. The following example shows that the account for user is not locked due to too many consecutive authentication failures. FILES
standard password file shadow password file user database SEE ALSO
authadm(1M), passwd(4), security(4), shadow(4), userdb(4). userstat(1M)