Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mtime vs ctime
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mtime vs ctime Post 57480 by zazzybob on Friday 29th of October 2004 06:02:12 AM
Old 10-29-2004
ctime refers to changes made to the file's inode (such as changing permissions, etc). mtime refers to changes to the data within the file. So cnewer will use a reference files inode change time for the comparision, whereas newer will use a reference files data modification time.

Some manual pages are very vague and don't make a clear distinction, so your confusion is understandable!

FYI, there's also atime, which refers to file access time. Also, there is, unfortunately (and to the best of my knowledge), no way of finding file creation time through an inode.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ctime & find

I am trying to figure out the syntax to use find to remove files older than 30 minutes. I know that this will work for files 1 day old, but cannot seem to trim the time down to 30 minutes. find /path/to/file -ctime +1 -exec rm -f {} \; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

atime, ctime, mtime somewhere along csize..

i have used all forms of the unix find command.. and right now this is the only command i can think of that might have this option..: if i use mtime i am looking at a time interval.. but if i wanted to find out intervals of access, change and modification according to when a file changed size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

mtime, ctime, and atime

Unix keeps 3 timestamps for each file: mtime, ctime, and atime. Most people seem to understand atime (access time), it is when the file was last read. There does seem to be some confusion between mtime and ctime though. ctime is the inode change time while mtime is the file modification time. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find ot ctime , mtime ,atime

Can any one tell me how to find out ctime , mtime ,atime for a file/directory on unix. Cheers, Nilesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(find) mtime vs. (unix) mtime

Hi I've made some test with perl script to learn more about mtime... So, my question is : Why the mtime from findfind /usr/local/sbin -ctime -1 -mtime -1 \( -name "*.log" -o -name "*.gz" \) -print are not the same as mtime from unix/linux in ls -ltr or in stat() function in perl : stat -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mtime VS atime VS ctime

hi, in trying to maintain your directories, one needs to do some housekeeping like removing old files. the tool "find" comes in handy. but how would you decide which option to use when it comes to, say, deleting files that are older than 5 days? mtime - last modified atime - last accessed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tmpwatchc updates directory ctime?

Hi, I noticed that some directories under /tmp were updated ctime daily. As you can see below, I thought that was because of tmpwatch. # cat /etc/crontab SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/ # run-parts 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 02... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: password636
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime

I know that find -ctime +1 will find ALL files that have been modified that are greater than 1 day old and -ctime 1 will find files that are ONLY 1 day old -ctime -1 mean files that are less than a day old? Can find actually use this granularity? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -ctime

startdate="2012_07_04-16:14:4" path1="/home/drdos/sample" days=0 find $path1 -name "*$startdate*" > teste.txt while do find $path1 -name "*.zip" ctime $days > teste.txt days=`expr $days + 1` done echo " Files that are near the string u search are on teste.txt"Hi to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd0spt
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls -l displays ctime or mtime?

commands ls -l or just l displays ctime (changed time) or mtime (modified time)? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies
libssh2_scp_send64(3)						  libssh2 manual					     libssh2_scp_send64(3)

NAME
libssh2_scp_send64 - Send a file via SCP SYNOPSIS
#include <libssh2.h> LIBSSH2_CHANNEL * libssh2_scp_send64(LIBSSH2_SESSION *session, const char *path, int mode, libssh2_uint64_t size, time_t mtime, time_t atime); DESCRIPTION
session - Session instance as returned by libssh2_session_init_ex(3) path - Full path and filename of file to transfer to. That is the remote file name. mode - File access mode to create file with size - Size of file being transmitted (Must be known ahead of time). Note that this needs to be passed on as variable type lib- ssh2_uint64_t. This type is 64 bit on modern operating systems and compilers. mtime - mtime to assign to file being created atime - atime to assign to file being created (Set this and mtime to zero to instruct remote host to use current time). Send a file to the remote host via SCP. RETURN VALUE
Pointer to a newly allocated LIBSSH2_CHANNEL instance, or NULL on errors. ERRORS
LIBSSH2_ERROR_ALLOC - An internal memory allocation call failed. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_SEND - Unable to send data on socket. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SCP_PROTOCOL - LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN - Marked for non-blocking I/O but the call would block. AVAILABILITY
This function was added in libssh2 1.2.6 and is meant to replace the former libssh2_scp_send_ex(3) function. SEE ALSO
libssh2_channel_open_ex(3) libssh2 1.2.6 17 Apr 2010 libssh2_scp_send64(3)