Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Semaphores with key of 0
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Semaphores with key of 0 Post 57466 by doeboy on Thursday 28th of October 2004 03:41:37 PM
Old 10-28-2004
Question Semaphores with key of 0

Does anyone know how a semaphore can end up with a key value of "0"?

We have a system that had over 400 semaphores with a key value of "0" at one time. After rebooting, they don't exist anymore and all existing semaphores now have normal key values.

Any ideas on what makes this happen and if there is any way to trace where these came from? Smilie

TIA

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Semaphores

Dear Reader, I'm in a multiprocess environment working with shared mem and semaphores as mutex.. The problem is -- If one of the process hooked up with the semaphore and accessing the shared mem, terminates abruptly ( or got killed ), other process which are in want of the semaphore are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Semaphores

Hi all, I am using HP 10.20 on A 9000/785. My question is: If I am the only person logged in as root at the moment, how many "semaphore proccesses" should I have?? Is it only one, or it is relevant to other system proccesses? Here is what I get listing the current semaphores # ipcs -sp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guest100
1 Replies

3. Programming

semaphores

Hi there, Could someone please confirm which POSIX semaphore routines should be used for a multiprocess (and not multithreaded) environment? sys/sem.h definitely works. but the routines, semget, semctl, semop are pretty unwieldy. So, I am looking for an easier way out. From the man pages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qntmteleporter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

semaphores

Hi Friends, If i execute this command it comes back with 300 lines: ipcs|grep cerebrus >>> i would like to clear the semaphores but ipcrm can remove one id at a time. is there a quicker way of removing semaphores maybe using awk? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kekanap
1 Replies

5. Programming

semaphores using up and down

been searching around on how to use an up and down function with semaphores but i can't find an example. i looked into using: "semop" but i have no idea how to use it. I have been able to declared the semaphores using semget and initializing them using semctl. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many semaphores?

Hello, first of all I apologize if this thread is not in the correct section of this forum, but this one just seemed the most appropriate. The question I have does not concern Unix specifically, it applies to virtually any OS, however it is in Unix where I learned about this problem. So, the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Watto86
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

semaphores

I am having problem with semaphores. I am trying to protect line where process prints so that every process with print in proper order.This is the code.. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/sem.h> #include <sys/types.h> union... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 8 ssh public key authentication issue - Server refused our key

Hi, I've used the following way to set ssh public key authentication and it is working fine on Solaris 10, RedHat Linux and SuSE Linux servers without any problem. But I got error 'Server refused our key' on Solaris 8 system. Solaris 8 uses SSH2 too. Why? Please help. Thanks. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Semaphores

Hi, Can somebody please explain me what semaphores are? there purpose? and there effects? Thanks in advance:) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
0 Replies
semget(2)							   System Calls 							 semget(2)

NAME
semget - get set of semaphores SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/sem.h> int semget(key_t key, int nsems, int semflg); DESCRIPTION
The semget() function returns the semaphore identifier associated with key. A semaphore identifier and associated data structure and set containing nsems semaphores (see Intro(2)) are created for key if one of the following is true: o key is equal to IPC_PRIVATE. o key does not already have a semaphore identifier associated with it, and (semflg&IPC_CREAT) is true. On creation, the data structure associated with the new semaphore identifier is initialized as follows: o sem_perm.cuid, sem_perm.uid, sem_perm.cgid, and sem_perm.gid are set equal to the effective user ID and effective group ID, respectively, of the calling process. o The access permission bits of sem_perm.mode are set equal to the access permission bits of semflg. o sem_nsems is set equal to the value of nsems. o sem_otime is set equal to 0 and sem_ctime is set equal to the current time. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a non-negative integer representing a semaphore identifier is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The semget() function will fail if: EACCES A semaphore identifier exists for key, but operation permission (see Intro(2)) as specified by the low-order 9 bits of semflg would not be granted. EEXIST A semaphore identifier exists for key but both (semflg&IPC_CREAT) and (semflg&IPC_EXCL) are both true. EINVAL The nsems argument is either less than or equal to 0 or greater than the system-imposed limit. See NOTES. A semaphore identifier exists for key, but the number of semaphores in the set associated with it is less than nsems and nsems is not equal to 0. ENOENT A semaphore identifier does not exist for key and (semflg&IPC_CREAT) is false. ENOSPC A semaphore identifier is to be created but the system-imposed limit on the maximum number of allowed semaphores or semaphore identifiers system-wide would be exceeded. See NOTES. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ipcrm(1), ipcs(1), rctladm(1M), Intro(2), semctl(2), semop(2), setrctl(2), ftok(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
The system-imposed limit on the value of the nsems argument is the maintained on a per-process basis using the process.max-sem-nsems resource control. The system-imposed limit on the number of semaphore identifiers is maintained on a per-project basis using the project.max-sem-ids resource control. The zone.max-sem-ids resource control limis the total number of semaphore identifiers that can be allocated by a zone. See rctladm(1M) and setrctl(2) for information about using resource controls. SunOS 5.11 14 Aug 2006 semget(2)