Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers set uid question w/ backup script Post 5725 by Perderabo on Tuesday 21st of August 2001 12:54:02 PM
Old 08-21-2001
Very few versions of unix are left that allow suid scripts. Any version of unix that allows suid scripts has a serious security problem.

You need to look at a program called "sudo" that can allow non-root users to run scripts as root in a secure manner.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set UID on linux

Hi, I just want to know if it's possible to set the UID bit for a script, so that it executes not as a owner of process, but owner of the script. i.e script tesh.sh owned by 'user1', 'file1' owned by user1 has 700 permisssions `who am i` rm -v /tmp/file1 user 2 need to execute test.sh, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
2 Replies

2. AIX

Backup question

Hi All! I'm rather new in AIX so I want some comments about backup scheme I've developed to backup every part of the system. I have the following hardware: - Power6 570 server with two VIO server and 3 LPARs - NIM server outside (on the other Power server) - Windows 2003 Server with Tivoli... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kogor
2 Replies

3. Solaris

A question about backup.

Hi all. There are some SPARC mashines. What method can be made from them backup (slices or entire disk) in field conditions if I have only the laptop with win xp pro and the internet? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script doubt in extracting and comparing uid

Hi, I need to get the value of 'uid' from a line in file f1. For example, in the line below, I need to get the value '150', from the 'anonuid=150' key, and I need to verify that this is a valid uid by checking it against /etc/passwd (i.e) I want to compare this uid, 150 (or more if there are any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to pull uid greater than 1000 from remote server

Hello, I am trying to get UID # greater than 1000 from all linux server, I tried this script getting this error message, someone please suggest. $for i in `cat hostlist.0709.org` ; do ssh -t $i 'awk -F':' "{ if($3 >= 1000) print $0 }" /etc/passwd ' >> output ; done $ cat output hostname1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies
ikisite-wrapper(1)					      General Commands Manual						ikisite-wrapper(1)

NAME
ikisite-wrapper - suid wrapper for ikisite SYNOPSIS
ikisite-wrapper subcommand options DESCRIPTION
ikisite-wrapper is a wrapper around ikisite. It is designed to be safely made suid root, though it is not currently suid by default. A few ikisite subcommands can be run using the wrapper without any authorisation at all. These include: create, branch, list, sitelookup, checklock, updatecustomersite, and enabledns. So making the wrapper suid allows any user to create a site. Other ikisite subcommands can only be run using the wrapper by users who specify a nonce in the IKISITE_NONCE environment variable. These include: delete, changesetup, domains, and deletenonce. A site's current nonces are stored in its .ikisite-nonce file. A nonce can be generated by root or the site's user via using the creat- enonce subcommand, but it's usually generated by passing --createnonce to the create or branch subcommands. This allows anyone to create or branch a site and then use the nonce to allow further configuration of it (and delete it if something goes wrong). Subcommands that can be called by the wrapper either without or with a nonce should be sure to fully validate their inputs. SEE ALSO
ikisite(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@ikiwiki.info> ikisite-wrapper(1)